Solving Trig Equations: Help Needed!

• Thread starter heath77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary: One equation will tell you the height of the building across the street, and the other equation will tell you the distance of the building across the street.
heath77
Trig HELP Please!

I have a test tomorrow please help. I need to know how to do them like I tired them but I want to know if I am right so if you could help me find the equations for each that would be great! Thanks

1) A man stands on level ground 200 meters from the base of a TV tower. He finds he must look up at an angle of 26 degrees to see the top of the tower. How high is the tower?
2) A kite flies at a height of 60 ft when 130 ft of string is out. Assuming that the string is in a straight line, what is the angle that the string makes with the ground?
3) A man stands 120 meters from a tree, and finds that the angle of elevation to the top of the tree is 32.3 degrees. What is the height of the treee?
4) An oil slick to the shore is observed from a lighthouse platform 200ft above sea level. The angle of depression to the near side of the slick is 39 degrees and to the far side is 28 degrees. How wide is the slick?
5) A man standing on top of a building 35 meters high measures the angle of elevation of the top of the building across the street to be 32 degrees. He measures the angle of depression of the base of the same building to be 55 degrees. How far way is the building across the street AND how tall is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Post what you've tried.

Try to draw a triangle, mark its sides and hypothenuse,and the angle of elevation, and the others and see if you can come up with a trig identiy, or whatever, that relates the knowns and unknown data.

1)equation:200tan26 degrees
answer: 97.5 meters
2) equation: angle=arcsin(60/130)
answer: 27.5 degrees
3) equation: height=120tan32.3
answer: 75.86 meters
4)equation: width=200tan39-200tan28
answer:55.6 degrees
5) equation: 35tan35
answer 24.5 degrees
I did not get the second answer and equation to #5 I do no know how to do it
Are these equations and answers right for all of them?

heath77 said:
1)equation:200tan26 degrees
answer: 97.5 meters
2) equation: angle=arcsin(60/130)
answer: 27.5 degrees
3) equation: height=120tan32.3
answer: 75.86 meters
4)equation: width=200tan39-200tan28
answer:55.6 degrees
All of the above are correct, but be careful with the units!
heath77 said:
I did not get the second answer and equation to #5 I do no know how to do it
Are these equations and answers right for all of them?
For question five, you need to construct a system of simultaneous equations. You have two unknowns (height and distance), therefore you need two equations.

1. What are trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. They are used to model various real-world phenomena, particularly those involving periodic motion.

2. How do I solve trigonometric equations?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you can use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities to rewrite the equation in terms of a single trigonometric function, and then solve for the variable using inverse trigonometric functions.

3. What are the common strategies for solving trigonometric equations?

Some common strategies for solving trigonometric equations include factoring, using the unit circle, using trigonometric identities, and using the quadratic formula.

4. Can you provide an example of solving a trigonometric equation?

Sure! Let's say we have the equation sin(x) = 1/2. We can use the inverse sine function to rewrite this as x = sin-1(1/2). Using a calculator, we find that this equals π/6 or 30 degrees. Therefore, the solutions to the equation are x = π/6 + 2πn or x = 30 + 360n, where n is any integer.

5. What are the possible solutions to a trigonometric equation?

The possible solutions to a trigonometric equation depend on the form of the equation and the range of the trigonometric functions involved. In general, there may be multiple solutions and they may be expressed in terms of a general formula or using specific values.