1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig help

1. May 22, 2005 #1
    i need help showing the folowing is valid:

tan^4(w) + 2tan^2(w) +1 = sec^4(w)

I am pretty lost, I know I should expand the left side and go from there. SO far I have gotten:

[sin^4(w)/cos^4(w)] + [2sin^2(w)/cos^2(w)] + [sin^2(w) +cos^2(w)]

and then I am stuck when I try and add these terms together, Imay have made mistakes some where along the line in adding the fractions, could someone point me in the right direction? am I right so far?
    the farthest i have gotten on the left side is:
    [sin^4(w) + 2sin^2(w)cos^2(w) + sin^2(w)cos^4(w) +cos^6(w)] /cos^4(w)
    Last edited: May 22, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

Observe that the LHS is just [tex]{(1 + \tan^2{w})}^2 = {(\sec^2{w})}^2 = \sec^4{w}[/tex]

If you're not allowed to assume that [tex]1 + \tan^2{w} = \sec^2{w}[/tex], just divide [tex]\sin^2{w} + \cos^2{w} = 1[/tex] throughout by [tex]\cos^2{w}[/tex] and see what you get.
  4. May 23, 2005 #3
    Another way out if you're not "allowed" to do some other things is to subtract 1 from each side of the equality to be proved and use a variant of the identity given by Curious3141.

Note that what you have to prove is not strictly identity for all [itex]w[/itex], unless you bend the definition of an identity to accomodate it. The terms on the left hand side are not defined when [itex]x = (2n+1)\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] where n is an integer. Same goes for the term on the right hand side. However, it would be better to say that the terms tend to [itex]\infty[/itex] as x approaches this value from the left or right and hence, this minor argument does not really matter much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?