Prove tan^4(w) + 2tan^2(w) +1 = sec^4(w)

• Thread starter mgiddy911
  • Start date
In summary: However, this is not a strict identity for all w and you are forced to use a variant of the identity.
mgiddy911
i need help showing the folowing is valid:

tan^4(w) + 2tan^2(w) +1 = sec^4(w)

I am pretty lost, I know I should expand the left side and go from there. SO far I have gotten:

[sin^4(w)/cos^4(w)] + [2sin^2(w)/cos^2(w)] + [sin^2(w) +cos^2(w)]

and then I am stuck when I try and add these terms together, Imay have made mistakes some where along the line in adding the fractions, could someone point me in the right direction? am I right so far?
the farthest i have gotten on the left side is:
[sin^4(w) + 2sin^2(w)cos^2(w) + sin^2(w)cos^4(w) +cos^6(w)] /cos^4(w)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mgiddy911 said:
i need help showing the folowing is valid:

tan^4(w) + 2tan^2(w) +1 = sec^4(w)

I am pretty lost, I know I should expand the left side and go from there. SO far I have gotten:

[sin^4(w)/cos^4(w)] + [2sin^2(w)/cos^2(w)] + [sin^2(w) +cos^2(w)]

and then I am stuck when I try and add these terms together, Imay have made mistakes some where along the line in adding the fractions, could someone point me in the right direction? am I right so far?
the farthest i have gotten on the left side is:
[sin^4(w) + 2sin^2(w)cos^2(w) + sin^2(w)cos^4(w) +cos^6(w)] /cos^4(w)

Observe that the LHS is just [tex]{(1 + \tan^2{w})}^2 = {(\sec^2{w})}^2 = \sec^4{w}[/tex]

If you're not allowed to assume that [tex]1 + \tan^2{w} = \sec^2{w}[/tex], just divide [tex]\sin^2{w} + \cos^2{w} = 1[/tex] throughout by [tex]\cos^2{w}[/tex] and see what you get.

Another way out if you're not "allowed" to do some other things is to subtract 1 from each side of the equality to be proved and use a variant of the identity given by Curious3141.

Note that what you have to prove is not strictly identity for all [itex]w[/itex], unless you bend the definition of an identity to accommodate it. The terms on the left hand side are not defined when [itex]x = (2n+1)\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] where n is an integer. Same goes for the term on the right hand side. However, it would be better to say that the terms tend to [itex]\infty[/itex] as x approaches this value from the left or right and hence, this minor argument does not really matter much.

Cheers
Vivek

1. What does "tan^4(w)" mean in the equation?

"tan^4(w)" means the fourth power of the tangent of angle w. This is represented as (tan(w))^4 or tan(w) x tan(w) x tan(w) x tan(w).

2. How do you prove this equation?

To prove this equation, you can use the trigonometric identities of tan^2(w) + 1 = sec^2(w) and sec^2(w) = 1 + tan^2(w). By substituting these identities into the original equation and simplifying, you can show that both sides are equal.

3. What is the purpose of proving this equation?

Proving this equation helps to demonstrate the relationship between the trigonometric functions of tangent and secant. It also shows the use of trigonometric identities in solving equations.

4. Can this equation be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, this equation can be applied in real-life situations such as in engineering, physics, and navigation. It can be used to calculate angles and distances in various applications.

5. Are there any other equivalent forms of this equation?

Yes, there are other equivalent forms of this equation such as tan^4(w) + 1 = sec^4(w) and tan^2(w) + sec^2(w) = 2. These forms can be derived by manipulating the original equation or using other trigonometric identities.