1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig Homework Question

1. Jul 29, 2007 #1
    1.)/// cot Θ + tan Θ = csc^2 Θ + sec^2 Θ
    //////////////////////// -------------------
    /////////////////////////// csc Θ sec Θ

2.)/// 1-2 cos Θ = tan Θ - cot Θ
    ////// -----------
    ////// sin Θ cos Θ

I also need to know how to get the solution to prove this. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

1. Please do not hijack another persons thread, instead start a new one.

2. We need to see some working on your part, we don't do your homework for you.

3. What are all those slashes for? Learn LaTeX please.
  4. Jul 29, 2007 #3

Never mind then.
  5. Jul 29, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Whilst what Gib Z said regarding the need for you to show your work before you obtain help here is true (these are forum rules), it is not strictly necessary for you to learn LaTex. It is quite straightforward (click on the [itex]\Sigma[/itex] button on the top of the reply window) but it would be sufficient for you to write equations in the forum: however, instead of using slashes to space the maths, use brackets-- e.g. (sinx+cosx)/(secx).

As for your questions, what are you doing-- proving that they are equalities? Well, I would start off by writing everything in terms of sine and cosine, then looking for possible places to cancel. If you want to have a go, then post back, we will be happy to advise.

Edit: Actually, for the first one, split the right hand side up into two fractions, and cancel-- you don't need to change into sine and cosines on this occasion.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  6. Jul 29, 2007 #5
    Thank you cristo.

But i'm afraid to ask again, so I think i'm gonna look for help elswhere.

7. Jul 30, 2007 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Lol I think I scared off a member >.< my bad..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?