Trig Identities : Help 3 Questions.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve 3 trigonometry questions involving proving identities. It is suggested to convert everything into sine and cosine and use double-angle and half-angle formulas. The first question is solved using common denominators and simplifying to prove the identity tan(A)=cot(B).
xLaser
I can't get these 3 questions, can someone help me?

1. cotB [ (tanA + TanB) / (cotA+cotB) ] = tan A

2. (sin^2A + 2cosA - 1) / (2 + cosA - cos^2A) = 1 / (1+ secA)

3. cos^3A + sin^3A = (cosA+SinA)(1-SinAcosA)

please help out on these, thanks in advance. U can write the / sign as fractions because i can't do it on the computer here.

Physics news on Phys.org
For proving trig identities, it's generally useful to convert everything into sin and cos, cross-multiply all fractions, and multiply out all factorizations.

It's also helpful to know the double-angle formulas and the half-angle formulas.

no need to use double-angle formulas for those... i just can't figure them out. can someone actually do one?

here is the first one:
[tex]1. tan(A)=cot(B)\frac{tan(A) + tan(B)}{cot(A)+cot(B)}[/tex]

Express in terms of sine and cosine:
[tex]=(\frac{\cos{B}}{\sin{B}})\frac{\frac{\sin{A}}{\cos{A}}+\frac{\sin{B}}{\cos{B}}}{\frac{cosA}{sinA}+\frac{cosB}{sinB}}[/tex]

Get common denominators and add the top/bottom to form 1 complex fraction:
[tex]=(\frac{\cos{B}}{\sin{B}})\frac{\frac{sinAcosB+sinBcosA}{cosAcosB}}{\frac{sinBcosA+sinAcosB}{sinAsinB}}[/tex]

Simplify:
[tex]=(\frac{\cos{B}}{\sin{B}})\frac{\frac{sin(A+B)}{cosAcosB}}{\frac{sin(A+B)}{sinAsinB}}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{\frac{sin(A+B)}{cosA}}{\frac{sin(A+B)}{sinA}}=\frac{sinA}{cosA}=tanA[/tex]

Identities used in solution:

[tex]cotA=\frac{cosA}{sinA}[/tex]

[tex]tanA=\frac{sinA}{cosA}[/tex]

[tex]sin(A+B)=sinAcosB+cosAsinB[/tex]

Good luck with the others, I hope this helps you!

1. What are trig identities?

Trig identities are equations that involve trigonometric functions and can be used to simplify and manipulate expressions involving these functions.

2. Why are trig identities important?

Trig identities are important because they allow us to solve complex trigonometric equations and express them in simpler forms. They are also used in many applications, such as engineering, physics, and navigation.

3. How do I prove trig identities?

To prove a trig identity, you must manipulate one side of the equation using algebraic and trigonometric properties until you reach the other side. This process may involve using common trig identities, such as the Pythagorean identities and double angle identities.