Proving Identity: cos2A/1 + sin2A = cotA - 1 / cotA + 1

• Thread starter Draggu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, Vitaly tried to solve the homework equation, but couldn't figure out the left side. He was helped by his friend, who explained that the two sides were cosa-sinA and cosa+sinA, and that the equation was solved when multiplied by 1.
Draggu

Homework Statement

Prove the following identity:

cos2A/1 + sin2A = cotA - 1 / cotA + 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I proved the right side, which eventually lead up to cosA - sinA / cosA + sinA

I have NO idea how to do the left side. I have wasted roughly 10-15 sheets of paper now trying to prove it, but it all leads up to nothing. I tried MANY different solutions...

Physics news on Phys.org
did u use the double angle formulas of sin2u=2sinucosu and cos2u=1-2sin^2u?

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8388/trigom8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Vitaly, thanks for trying BUT I have a question about where sin^2a(cot^2 - 1) came from.. could you add me to MSN please? supaflygt@hotmail.com

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/9676/trigkw2.jpg
no probs :wink:
Look carefully, it's sine squared, not sin(2A). My 2A are big

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I know. I'm curious how you got sin^2a/sin^2a + sin^2a in the equation (2nd step) :P

Please use brackets where necessary. (sinA)^2/(sinA)^2=1 and as you must know if you multiply something by 1, it doesn't change anything. It's a very common trick in math, e.g. integrating logs, taking inverse of a matrix, etc..
So, I muultipled (cosA)^2 by 1. And (sinA)^2 is therefore a common factor.
It's like (5+7)=(5*7/7+7)=7(5/7+1)

Well, I tried it doing my own thing, and here is the result:
EDIT: it's not -1 or 0, but it must be something.
2e1d1lg.jpg

Solved it now, thanks for your help.

Draggu said:
Solved it now, thanks for your help.

my friend they are not equal to negative one. however you can prove both sides are
(cos A-sin A)/(cos A+sin A)

My God, seeing those divisions just scares me.
Revisit fractions please and formulas of (a+b)2, a2-b2

And consider this: (52-32)/(5+3)2 is NOT equal -1.
(52-32)/(5+3)2=(5-3)(5+3)/((5+3)(5+3)). Divide by a common factor of 5+3, leaving you with (5-3)/(5+3)

Learn (a+b)2=(a+b)(a+b)=a2+2ab+b2, a2-b2=(a-b)(a+b) NOW

-Vitaly- said:
My God, seeing those divisions just scares me.
Revisit fractions please and formulas of (a+b)2, a2-b2

And consider this: (52-32)/(5+3)2 is NOT equal -1.
(52-32)/(5+3)2=(5-3)(5+3)/((5+3)(5+3)). Divide by a common factor of 5+3, leaving you with (5-3)/(5+3)

Learn (a+b)2=(a+b)(a+b)=a2+2ab+b2, a2-b2=(a-b)(a+b) NOW

I know they aren't equal to -1. I proved both sides were (cosa-sina)/(cosa+sina), though, which was why I said it was solved

Draggu said:
I know they aren't equal to -1. I proved both sides were (cosa-sina)/(cosa+sina), though, which was why I said it was solved

He says so because of your amazing cancellation.

What is the purpose of proving identity?

The purpose of proving identity is to show that two expressions are equivalent, meaning they have the same value for all possible inputs. This is important in mathematics and science to simplify complex equations and make them easier to work with.

What is the identity being proven in this equation?

The identity being proven in this equation is cos2A/1 + sin2A = cotA - 1 / cotA + 1. This is known as the double angle identity for cosine.

What is the process for proving this identity?

The process for proving this identity involves using basic trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identity and the reciprocal identities, to manipulate and simplify the equation until it matches the given identity. This often involves using algebraic techniques and trigonometric identities multiple times.

Why is proving identity important in science?

Proving identity is important in science because it allows for the simplification of complex equations, making it easier to analyze and understand mathematical relationships between variables. This can also help in solving real-world problems and making predictions based on mathematical models.

What are some common strategies for proving identities?

Some common strategies for proving identities include using basic trigonometric identities, substituting values for variables, and simplifying both sides of the equation until they match. Another helpful strategy is to work with one side of the equation at a time and use algebraic techniques to manipulate it into the desired form.