Trig Identities: Solving for (3/5)cos2x + (3/5)sin2x

This is not the first time you've been stumped by something as simple as the distributive property. I'd advise you to spend a few months reviewing algebra and trig before you take calculus.In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to the problem (3/5)cos2x + (3/5)sin2x and the mistaken belief that the answer should be 6/5 instead of 3/5. The conversation also highlights the importance of having a strong understanding of basic algebra and trigonometry before attempting to learn calculus. The solution is found by factoring out (3/5) and using the trig identity cos2x + sin2x = 1.
bobsmith76

Homework Statement

(3/5)cos2x + (3/5)sin2x

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think the answer would be 6/5, but it looks like the book is saying 3/5. I had a similar problem to this the other day and I tried finding it in my history but I couldn't.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you just made a careless mistake in factorizing...
Try again.

Well, are you saying the book is wrong? That it's not 3/5?

I mean you are wrong...
show your working on eliminating the sin and cos

ok, I take it

x cos^2 + x sin^2 = x, not 2x, that's what i needed to know.

Suppose you have:

[tex] x \cdot a + x \cdot b = c [/tex]

Then you clearly can't group the a and b together. However, this is what you can do:

[tex]
x\cdot(a+b) = c
[/tex]

In your case:

[tex]
\frac{3}{5} \cdot (cos^{2}(x) + sin^{2}(x)) =
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{3}{5} \cdot 1
[/tex]

bobsmith76 said:
ok, I take it

Review your trig identities!

when i saw that mark commented on this post, i knew he would yell at me for asking an elementary question. mark, you need to find something better to do with your time other than yell at people for trying to learn. i spend as much time reviewing trig identities as i see necessary.

bobsmith76 said:
ok, I take it

Rather than Mark suggesting that you study trig identities, (Really, I don't see at all how that was yelling at you.) I'm going to point out that the statement above is nonsense .

You need to have an argument to go with a function.

The following is true:

x cos2(θ) + x sin2(θ) = x​

How can you show it's true?

x cos2(θ) + x sin2(θ) = x (cos2(θ) + sin2(θ)) = x (1) = x .

Similarly, for the problem you posed to begin this thread, simply factor out (3/5) & use one of the Pythagorean trig. identities.

When you write sin2x , that's not x times the square of the sine, whatever that might mean.

bobsmith76 said:
when i saw that mark commented on this post, i knew he would yell at me for asking an elementary question. mark, you need to find something better to do with your time other than yell at people for trying to learn. i spend as much time reviewing trig identities as i see necessary.

"as I see necessary." - In every post of yours that I have seen, you have gotten stumped on some very elementary algebra property or trig identity in some explanation you are reading in a math book. I have yet to see you asking a question about a problem you are actually working on - your problems seem to be in understanding what to many would be a clear explanation.

As I said before, I think that what you are doing is to be commended, but it seems to me that until you have a firm grip on the algebra and trig fundamentals that form the foundation of calculus, you are wasting your time. I would never "yell" at people for trying to learn, but if they are obviously not prepared to study a particular area of mathematics, I would point that out, and advise them to strengthen the areas they are weak in, and that's what I've been doing with you.

bobsmith76 said:

Homework Statement

(3/5)cos2x + (3/5)sin2x
= (3/5)(cos2(x) + sin2(x)) = (3/5)(1) = 3/5
bobsmith76 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think the answer would be 6/5, but it looks like the book is saying 3/5. I had a similar problem to this the other day and I tried finding it in my history but I couldn't.
This problem is nothing more than an application of the distributive property and the identity cos2(x) + sin2(x) = 1.

If you have any hope of understanding calculus, you NEED to get squared away on the basic stuff.

What are trig identities?

Trig identities are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, tangent, etc. These identities help simplify complex expressions involving trigonometric functions.

What is the formula for (3/5)cos2x + (3/5)sin2x?

The formula for (3/5)cos2x + (3/5)sin2x is (3/5)cos2x + (3/5)sin2x = (3/5)cos^2x + (3/5)sin^2x. This can be simplified further using the Pythagorean identity: cos^2x + sin^2x = 1, resulting in the final equation (3/5)(1) = 3/5.

How do you solve for (3/5)cos2x + (3/5)sin2x?

To solve for (3/5)cos2x + (3/5)sin2x, you can use the double angle formula for cosine and sine: cos2x = 2cos^2x - 1 and sin2x = 2sinx*cosx. Substituting these into the original equation, we get (3/5)(2cos^2x - 1) + (3/5)(2sinx*cosx). From there, we can use the Pythagorean identity and other trigonometric identities to simplify the equation.

What is the period of (3/5)cos2x + (3/5)sin2x?

The period of (3/5)cos2x + (3/5)sin2x is π, which is the same as the period of cosine and sine functions. This means that the graph of the equation will repeat itself every π radians or 180 degrees.

How can you use trig identities to solve real-world problems?

Trig identities can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy to solve real-world problems. For example, in physics, trig identities can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, while in engineering, they can be used to design and construct structures. In astronomy, trig identities are used to calculate the positions and movements of celestial objects.