Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Trig Identities

1. Jan 17, 2005 #1
    Hi... I need help solving this problem. I don't know what to do...

Proove that

[tex]\frac{cos^2\theta - sin^2\theta}{cos^2\theta+sin\theta cos\theta} = 1 - tan\theta[/tex]

I tried to cross out cos^2 on the top with the one at the bottom... also tried messing around with the values (cos^2x = 1 - sin^2x) etc... but nothing is working. I'm kind of lost and would appreciate any help... Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2005 #2
    First if you are given [tex]\frac{cos^2\theta - sin^2\theta}{cos^2\theta+sin\theta cos\theta} = 1 - tan\theta[/tex] factor the numerator (its a difference of two perfect squares). Then factor the denominator (can you see a common term?) Cancel like terms. Divide through and you will get your result.

Hint: [tex] a^2 - b^2 = (a-b)(a+b) [/tex]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  4. Jan 17, 2005 #3
    Cross out with [tex]cos^2(x)[/tex] also works.

[tex]\frac{cos^2(x)-sin^2(x)}{cos^2(x)}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{cos^2(x)+sin(x)cox(x)}{cos^2(x)}[/tex]

When you solve these, the answer comes out very nicely

5. Jan 17, 2005 #4
    maybe it's because it's only been a little over a week from the xmas break, but even after factoring, I don't know the next step... how can i cancel out stuff still in the brackets? And for crossing it out... I don't really get what happened. What did you cross out exactly, and why is the fraction flipped?

factored...
    [tex]\frac{(cos\theta + sin\theta) (cos\theta - sin\theta)}{(cos\theta+sin\theta)(cos\theta)}[/tex]

6. Jan 17, 2005 #5
    In the denominator, inside the brackets you get [tex](cos\theta+sin\theta)[/tex] because before factoring you had [tex]cos^2\theta[/tex]. Now do some cancelling out and you will get the answer.

7. Jan 17, 2005 #6
    yah, i just caught my mistake ... but im still not getting 1-tan theta...
    I end up with cos theta - sin theta over cos theta after cancelling...

8. Jan 17, 2005 #7
    ok so you see [tex]\frac{(cos\theta + sin\theta) (cos\theta - sin\theta)}{(cos\theta+sin\theta)(cos\theta)}[/tex] [tex](cos\theta+sin\theta)[/tex] both in the numerator and denominator. So cancel that out and you are left with:

[tex]\frac{(cos\theta - sin\theta)}{(cos\theta)}[/tex]

Simplify this and you get the answer

9. Jan 17, 2005 #8
    [tex]\frac{cos\theta-sin\theta}{cos\theta}=\frac{cos\theta}{cos\theta}-\frac{sin\theta}{cos\theta}[/tex]

10. Jan 17, 2005 #9

Curious3141

Homework Helper

What is the definition of [itex]\tan \theta[/itex] in terms of [itex]\sin \theta[/itex] and [itex]\cos \theta[/itex] ?

11. Jan 17, 2005 #10
    mmmannnn.... I think I need another vacation. Thanks for the help =)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook