1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig Identities

1. Jan 17, 2005 #1
    Hi... I need help solving this problem. I don't know what to do...

Proove that

[tex]\frac{cos^2\theta - sin^2\theta}{cos^2\theta+sin\theta cos\theta} = 1 - tan\theta[/tex]

I tried to cross out cos^2 on the top with the one at the bottom... also tried messing around with the values (cos^2x = 1 - sin^2x) etc... but nothing is working. I'm kind of lost and would appreciate any help... Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2005 #2
    First if you are given [tex]\frac{cos^2\theta - sin^2\theta}{cos^2\theta+sin\theta cos\theta} = 1 - tan\theta[/tex] factor the numerator (its a difference of two perfect squares). Then factor the denominator (can you see a common term?) Cancel like terms. Divide through and you will get your result.

Hint: [tex] a^2 - b^2 = (a-b)(a+b) [/tex]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  4. Jan 17, 2005 #3
    Cross out with [tex]cos^2(x)[/tex] also works.

[tex]\frac{cos^2(x)-sin^2(x)}{cos^2(x)}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{cos^2(x)+sin(x)cox(x)}{cos^2(x)}[/tex]

When you solve these, the answer comes out very nicely

5. Jan 17, 2005 #4
    maybe it's because it's only been a little over a week from the xmas break, but even after factoring, I don't know the next step... how can i cancel out stuff still in the brackets? And for crossing it out... I don't really get what happened. What did you cross out exactly, and why is the fraction flipped?

factored...
    [tex]\frac{(cos\theta + sin\theta) (cos\theta - sin\theta)}{(cos\theta+sin\theta)(cos\theta)}[/tex]

6. Jan 17, 2005 #5
    In the denominator, inside the brackets you get [tex](cos\theta+sin\theta)[/tex] because before factoring you had [tex]cos^2\theta[/tex]. Now do some cancelling out and you will get the answer.

7. Jan 17, 2005 #6
    yah, i just caught my mistake ... but im still not getting 1-tan theta...
    I end up with cos theta - sin theta over cos theta after cancelling...

8. Jan 17, 2005 #7
    ok so you see [tex]\frac{(cos\theta + sin\theta) (cos\theta - sin\theta)}{(cos\theta+sin\theta)(cos\theta)}[/tex] [tex](cos\theta+sin\theta)[/tex] both in the numerator and denominator. So cancel that out and you are left with:

[tex]\frac{(cos\theta - sin\theta)}{(cos\theta)}[/tex]

Simplify this and you get the answer

9. Jan 17, 2005 #8
    [tex]\frac{cos\theta-sin\theta}{cos\theta}=\frac{cos\theta}{cos\theta}-\frac{sin\theta}{cos\theta}[/tex]

10. Jan 17, 2005 #9

Curious3141

Homework Helper

What is the definition of [itex]\tan \theta[/itex] in terms of [itex]\sin \theta[/itex] and [itex]\cos \theta[/itex] ?

11. Jan 17, 2005 #10
    mmmannnn.... I think I need another vacation. Thanks for the help =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?