1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig Identity 3

1. Jan 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (1-cos^2x)(1+tan^2x) = tan^2x

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    (1-cos^2x)(1+tan^2x) = tan^2x
    = (sin^2x)(1+sin^2x/cos^2x)
    = sin^2x+(sin^4x/cos^2x)

Now, I get a common denominator, but it's not doing anything for me. Did I do the right thing in converting the tan?
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2008 #2
    Mess with the left side ... what is 1-cos^(2)x and convert tan^(2)x into sine/cosine.
  4. Jan 8, 2008 #3
    Already did that on the first post. See, I missed all the lessons at school so I'm trying to piece everything in by myself. Can you please take a look at what I did and specify the next steps?
  5. Jan 8, 2008 #4
    You did not do this step correctly, do it again and you will get an identity that simplifies everything.
  6. Jan 8, 2008 #5
    What I'm getting is below.

= sin^2x+(sin^4x/cos^2x)
    = ((sin^2x)(cos^x)+sin^4x)/cos^2x

The cos^2x is the common denominator.
  7. Jan 8, 2008 #6

8. Jan 8, 2008 #7
    Alright that clears up a lot. So I can make a 1 into cos/cos or sin/sin. Makes things a lot easier. Thank you.
  9. Jan 9, 2008 #8

there is an identity relating to sec^x and 1+tan^2x. Find it out and you'll get your answer in 2 lines or less.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?