Help Understanding Trig Identity

In summary: This will give you the desired result:tan(2θ) = [2sin(θ) cos(θ) / cos^2(θ)] / [(cos^2(θ) - sin^2(θ)) / cos^2(θ)]= (2tan(θ)) / (1 - tan^2(θ))In summary, the identity tan(2θ) = 2*tan(θ) / (1 - tan^2(θ)) can be derived by manipulating the trigonometric identities for sin(2θ) and cos(2θ) and then simplifying by dividing both the numerator and denominator by cos^2(θ). This step is necessary to understand the identity and how it arises
lntz
Hello there,

I have a problem I'm hoping someone can help me with. I'm writing a bit of code for computing the value of pi that converges faster than a previous piece that relies on the leibniz series.

Anyway, I'm struggling with showing how this identity arises. tan(2t) = 2 * tan(t) / 1 - tan2(t)

So far I've got to this point;

sin(2θ) = 2sin(θ)cos(θ) and,
cos(2θ) = cos2(θ) - sin2(θ)

tan(2θ) = sin(2θ) / cos(2θ)

= 2sin(θ) cos(θ) / cos2(θ) - sin2(θ)

From there, I know that this is the step I'm supposed to take but I'm struggling to make sense of it. =[ 2sin(θ)cos(θ) / cos2(θ) ] * 1 / 1 - tan2

Doing that step brings me back to the identity, but why it works is what I don't understand. I have been told that it is dividing by cos2θ but I must be doing something wrong because it doesn't seem to work out for me. when dividing through by cos2θ I get 2sin(θ)cos(θ) / 1 - tan2θ

I would really appreciate someone explaining this without making any large jumps in the reasoning. (I shouldn't be doing maths at this time, but it's really bugging me)

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your algebra is OK to this step:

tan(2θ) = sin(2θ) / cos(2θ)

= 2sin(θ) cos(θ) / (cos^2(θ) - sin^2(θ))

Now, what you need to do is divide both the numerator and the denominator by cos^2(theta) and then simplify.

1. What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all values of the variables in the equation. It is used to simplify and solve trigonometric expressions and equations.

2. How do I know when to use a trigonometric identity?

Trigonometric identities are used when simplifying or solving trigonometric expressions or equations. They can also be used to prove other mathematical concepts or to solve real-world problems involving angles and triangles.

3. What are some common trigonometric identities?

Some common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities. These identities involve basic trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

4. What is the process for proving a trigonometric identity?

The process for proving a trigonometric identity involves using algebraic manipulations and known trigonometric identities to transform one side of the equation to match the other side. This is usually done step by step, showing each transformation and explaining how it relates to the original equation.

5. How can I remember all the trigonometric identities?

One way to remember trigonometric identities is to practice using them regularly. You can also create flashcards or mnemonic devices to help you remember the most commonly used identities. It is also important to understand the underlying concepts and relationships between trigonometric functions to better remember how they can be manipulated using identities.