Trig Identity Problem: Finding Theta When Tan(theta) = Cos(theta)

In summary, the problem is to find the value of theta given the equation tan(theta) = cos(theta) and the range -pi < theta < pi. This can be solved by using the identity tan(theta) = sin(theta)/cos(theta) and then simplifying using the equation sin^2(theta)+ cos^2(theta)= 1. This will give two values for sin(theta), which can then be used to solve for the two solutions of theta within the given range.
TW Cantor

Homework Statement

the problem is:
tan(theta) = cos(theta)
find theta: -pi < theta < pi

Homework Equations

tan(theta)=sin(theta)/cos(theta)
sin^2(theta)+cos^2(theta)=1

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
TW Cantor said:

Homework Statement

the problem is:
tan(theta) = cos(theta)

Homework Equations

You will need to use both identities you show in the Relevant equations.

i have tried using both equations but it just ends up getting more complicated. could you maybe tell me which one to use first? :-)

Show me what you've done and we can go from there.

i have basicly tried rearranging the equation to try and eliminate one of the functions from it.
so I've tried going from:
tan(θ) = cos(θ)
to:
sin(θ)/cos(θ) = cos(θ)

sin(θ) = cos2(θ)

sin2(θ) = cos2(θ)*sin(θ)

is this the right thing to do or am i going wrong?

TW Cantor said:
i have basicly tried rearranging the equation to try and eliminate one of the functions from it.
so I've tried going from:
tan(θ) = cos(θ)
to:
sin(θ)/cos(θ) = cos(θ)

sin(θ) = cos2(θ)
Here (above) is where you use the other identity: sin2(θ) + cos2(θ) = 1. You want an equation in terms of sin(θ).
TW Cantor said:
sin2(θ) = cos2(θ)*sin(θ)

is this the right thing to do or am i going wrong?

so you get:
sin2(θ) + sin(θ) -1 = 0
and then just solve as a quadratic?

so I've got one result: 0.666 radians
but i drew out the cosine graph and the tan graph and they meet at two separate points. how do i calculate the second value?

TW Cantor said:
so you get:
sin2(θ) + sin(θ) -1 = 0
and then just solve as a quadratic?
Yes.

TW Cantor said:
so I've got one result: 0.666 radians
but i drew out the cosine graph and the tan graph and they meet at two separate points. how do i calculate the second value?

When you solved the equation above you should have gotten two values for sin(θ).

i did get two values for sin(θ). one was 0.6180339 which gave a value for θ of 0.66624
the other value of sin(θ) was -1.6180339 so when i try sin-1 it gets a math error

There should be another value in the interval [0, pi] for which sin(θ) = .6180339. Hint: the graph of y = sin(x) is symmetrical about the line x = pi/2.

ahhhh yes. didnt think of putting it on a sine graph, i was still using the tan and cosine graphs. i got θ = 0.666, 2.475 :-) thanks a lot for your help :-)

TW Cantor said:

Homework Statement

the problem is:
tan(theta) = cos(theta)

Homework Equations

Something missing here, isn't there? Yes, use tan(theta)= sin(theta)/cos(theta) to write the equation in terms of sine and cosine and then use sin^2(theta)+ cos^2(theta)= 1 to reduce to only cosine (or only sine).

1. What is a Trig Identity Problem?

A Trig Identity Problem involves solving equations or expressions involving trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, to find the value of a specific variable or angle.

2. How do I solve for theta when tan(theta) = cos(theta)?

To solve for theta in this equation, you can use the trigonometric identity tan(theta) = sin(theta)/cos(theta). Then, substitute this into the original equation to get sin(theta)/cos(theta) = cos(theta). Multiply both sides by cos(theta) to get sin(theta) = cos^2(theta). From here, you can use the Pythagorean identity sin^2(theta) + cos^2(theta) = 1 to solve for theta.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve a Trig Identity Problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a Trig Identity Problem. Most scientific calculators have buttons for sine, cosine, and tangent, as well as inverse functions such as sin^-1, cos^-1, and tan^-1. These can be used to solve equations involving trigonometric functions.

4. Are there any tricks or tips for solving Trig Identity Problems?

One tip for solving Trig Identity Problems is to make use of trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identity and double angle formulas. It can also be helpful to rewrite expressions in terms of sine and cosine, as these functions have a closer relationship than tangent. Additionally, checking your answer by plugging it back into the original equation is always a good idea.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving Trig Identity Problems?

Trigonometry is used in a variety of fields, such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. Applications of solving Trig Identity Problems can include calculating the angles and distances of objects in space, determining the height of a building or mountain using trigonometric ratios, and calculating forces and vectors in physics problems.