Trig Identity Question: Finding theta in Projectile Problem

I was doing sin^2 (theta) - cos^2 (theta) instead of sin^2 (theta) - 1 + cos^2 (theta).In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of theta in a projectile question using trigonometric identities. The identities \sin(2\theta)=2\sin(\theta)\cos(\theta) and \sec^2(\theta)=\tan^2(\theta)+1 are mentioned as being helpful. The conversation also discusses the possibility of an error being made in the problem and concludes that the expression holds true for any value of theta.
Ed Aboud

Homework Statement

Basically I am finishing of a projectile question and I get stuck here:

Trying to find [itex] \theta [/itex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2} (sin2 \theta) tan^2 \theta -tan \theta + \frac{1}{2} sin2 \theta = 0[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tryed spliting [itex] tan \theta [/itex] into [itex] \frac{sin \theta}{cos \theta} [/itex] but I don't really get anywhere.
I know it requires using a trig identity but I can't really see a suitable one.
Thanks for the help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The identities [itex]\sin(2\theta)=2\sin(\theta)\cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]\sec^2(\theta)=\tan^2(\theta)+1[/itex] should both be useful.

However, you won't be able to solve your equation for [itex]\theta[/itex] since it turns out your equation is true for all [itex]\theta[/itex]!:eek:

You must have made an error earlier in the problem.

hmm I got sin x =0 so x=0.

[tex] sin \theta cos \theta (tan^2 \theta) - tan \theta + sin \theta cos \theta = 0 [/tex]

[tex] sin \theta cos \theta (sec^2 \theta) - \frac{sin \theta}{cos \theta} = 0 [/tex]

[tex] cos^2 \theta (sec^2 \theta) = 1 [/tex]

[tex] 1 =1 [/tex]

?

Bright Wang said:
hmm I got sin x =0 so x=0.

Then you should double check your algebra :wink:

Ed Aboud said:
[tex] sin \theta cos \theta (tan^2 \theta) - tan \theta + sin \theta cos \theta = 0 [/tex]

[tex] sin \theta cos \theta (sec^2 \theta) - \frac{sin \theta}{cos \theta} = 0 [/tex]

[tex] cos^2 \theta (sec^2 \theta) = 1 [/tex]

[tex] 1 =1 [/tex]

?

Like I said; your equation is true for all [itex]\theta[/itex], so you must have made an error earlier in the problem.

Ed Aboud said:
[tex] \frac{1}{2} (sin2 \theta) tan^2 \theta -tan \theta + \frac{1}{2} sin2 \theta = 0[/tex]

First thing I did was find rewrite everything in terms of sin and cos:

[tex] sin(\theta)cos(\theta) \frac{sin^{2}(\theta)}{cos^{2}(\theta)} - \frac{sin(\theta)}{cos(\theta)} + sin(\theta)cos(\theta) = 0 [/tex]

Then I found the common denominator and got:

[tex] \frac{sin^{3}(\theta) - sin(\theta) + sin(\theta)cos^{2}(\theta)}{cos(\theta)} = 0 [/tex]

So now we have to consider 2 cases

1) [tex] cos(\theta) = 0 [/tex]

That case cannot hold because your original expression has tan in it and therefore it is assumed that [tex] cos(\theta) \neq 0 [/tex]

2) [tex] cos(\theta) \neq 0 \Rightarrow sin(\theta)(sin^{2}(\theta) - 1 + cos^{2}(\theta)) = 0 [/tex]

The 2nd case gives you 0 = 0 so it seems like your expression holds true for any x.

Ed Aboud said:

Homework Statement

Basically I am finishing of a projectile question and I get stuck here:

Trying to find [itex] \theta [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tryed spliting [itex] tan \theta [/itex] into [itex] \frac{sin \theta}{cos \theta} [/itex] but I don't really get anywhere.
I know it requires using a trig identity but I can't really see a suitable one.
Thanks for the help in advance!

try searching you double angle rules for something related to sin2x=2sinxcosx and apply it

Last edited:
gabbagabbahey said:
Then you should double check your algebra :wink:

lol but if you put zero degree in you do get 0. I have probability done something wrong.

Zero degree? Are you saying if you evaluate it at theta = 0 you get 0 = 0? Did you read the post I made?

Bright Wang said:
lol but if you put zero degree in you do get 0. I have probability done something wrong.

Try plugging in other values too. ...notice anything?:wink:

NoMoreExams said:
First thing I did was find rewrite everything in terms of sin and cos:

[tex] sin(\theta)cos(\theta) \frac{sin^{2}(\theta)}{cos^{2}(\theta)} - \frac{sin(\theta)}{cos(\theta)} + sin(\theta)cos(\theta) = 0 [/tex]

Then I found the common denominator and got:

[tex] \frac{sin^{3}(\theta) - sin(\theta) + sin(\theta)cos^{2}(\theta)}{cos(\theta)} = 0 [/tex]

So now we have to consider 2 cases

1) [tex] cos(\theta) = 0 [/tex]

That case cannot hold because your original expression has tan in it and therefore it is assumed that [tex] cos(\theta) \neq 0 [/tex]

2) [tex] cos(\theta) \neq 0 \Rightarrow sin(\theta)(sin^{2}(\theta) - 1 + cos^{2}(\theta)) = 0 [/tex]

The 2nd case gives you 0 = 0 so it seems like your expression holds true for any x.

sorry, yep your right!

1. What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are equations that relate different trigonometric functions to each other. These identities are useful in simplifying expressions and solving trigonometric equations.

2. How do I prove a trigonometric identity?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you must manipulate one side of the equation using algebraic properties and trigonometric identities until it is equal to the other side.

3. What are some common trigonometric identities?

Some common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities.

4. Why are trigonometric identities important?

Trigonometric identities are important because they allow us to simplify complex expressions and solve trigonometric equations. They are also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.

5. How do I use trigonometric identities to solve a problem?

To use trigonometric identities to solve a problem, you must first identify which identities are relevant to the problem. Then, manipulate the given information using these identities to simplify the problem and solve for the unknown variables.