Trig Identity: Solving a RHS LHS Problem with Cosine Functions

In summary, Trig Identity says that cos^4 (x) = (3/8) + (1/2)(cos(2x)) + (1/8)(cos(4x)) when x is in the range -1 to 1.
rum2563
[SOLVED] Trig Identity

Homework Statement

cos^4 (x) = (3/8) + (1/2)(cos(2x)) + (1/8)(cos(4x))

Homework Equations

cos2x = 2cos^2 x - 1

cos^2 x = 1 - sin^2 x

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone please give me hints? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try proving the RHS to the LHS

and use the formula cos2A=cos[itex]^2[/itex]A-sin[itex]^2[/itex]A=2cos[itex]^2[/itex]A-1=1-2sin[itex]^2[/itex]A

ok. Here is what I did:

= (3/8) + (1/2)(cos(2x)) + (1/8)(cos(4x))
= (3/8) + (2cos^2 x - 1) + (1/4cos^2 2x - 1)
= (3/8) + (2cos^2 x - 1) + (1/2cos^4 x - 1 - 1)

This is where I don't know what to do. Any help would be great. Thanks.

You have one mistake going from the 1st line to the 2nd, and another going from the 2nd to the 3rd.

I am sorry. I didn't realize that. Here is my new try:

= (3/8) + (1/2)(cos(2(x)) + (1/8)(cos(4(x))
= (3/8) + (1/2)(2cos^2 x - 1) + (1/8)(2cos^2 2x - 1)
= (3/8) + (2cos^2 x) - (1/2) + (1/4cos^2 2x) - (1/8)

Does this seem right? Please help. I am running out of time. Thanks.

You still have a mistake going from the 2nd to the 3rd line.

And, you eliminated some (cos 2x)'s, but you still have one in your last line.

I am getting confused now. Can you elaborate a bit more please?

Is this rite?

= (3/8) + (((2cos^2 x)-1)/2) + (((2cos^2 2x)-1)/2)
= (3/8) + (cos^2 x) - (1/2) + (cos ^2 2x)/4 - (1/8)

I have been trying this for a long time. I think I am on the right track. Please help. Thanks.

Side note: I read something about power reduction formulae on the internet, and our teacher hasn't taught us that. So we can only use trig identities to solve this question.

Last edited:
Yes, that's right, and you are one the right track.

Now, you still have a cos 2x in your next-to-last term in the last line. You want to write everything in terms of cos x.

Thanks. Actually, that's the part which is most confusing.

Here is what I make of it:

(cos^2 2x)/4 = (2cos^4 x - 1) / 4

Is this right? I know that cos2x = 2cos^2 x - 1. But I don't know whether the exponent would change or not. Please help. Thanks.

No, it's not right. Suppose you have y^2/4, and I told you that y = 2 z^2 - 1; can you express y^2/4 in terms of z?

I am so sorry. Let me try again:

(cos^2 2x)/4 = ((2cos^2 x - 1)^2) / 4

Is this right? I hope it is because this time I really thought about it.

Yes, it's right!

Now, with c = cos x, you have

(3/8) + c^2 - (1/2) + ((2c^2 - 1)^2)/4 - (1/8)

Expand out the square, and simplify as much as possible.

Wow. Thanks very much Avodyne. Although it took me a long time to understand, it was still worth it.

I am going to sleep now, but when I expanded the equation ((2c^2 - 1)^2)/4 , I got c^4-c^2+1/4 which was the key to solving this question. (And Thank God I got that, lol)

I am very thankful to Avodyne(especially), and off course to rock.freak667 in helping me do this question and understand the concept. You are the best guys.

1. What is a Trig Identity RHS LHS problem?

A Trig Identity RHS LHS problem is a type of trigonometry problem that involves proving that two expressions, one on the right-hand side (RHS) and one on the left-hand side (LHS), are equal. This can be done by using trigonometric identities and manipulating the expressions until they are equivalent.

2. Why are Trig Identity RHS LHS problems important?

Trig Identity RHS LHS problems are important because they help to strengthen understanding of trigonometric identities and how they can be used to solve problems. These types of problems also often appear on standardized tests and in higher level math courses, so being able to solve them is crucial for success.

3. How do I solve a Trig Identity RHS LHS problem?

To solve a Trig Identity RHS LHS problem, you should start by simplifying both the RHS and LHS expressions using known trigonometric identities. Then, manipulate the expressions until they are equivalent. You may also need to use algebraic techniques to rearrange the equations. Finally, check your work by plugging in values for the variables or using a calculator to confirm that the expressions are equal.

4. What are some common trigonometric identities used in Trig Identity RHS LHS problems?

Some common trigonometric identities used in Trig Identity RHS LHS problems include the Pythagorean identities (sin²x + cos²x = 1 and tan²x + 1 = sec²x), double angle identities (sin2x = 2sinx cosx and cos2x = cos²x - sin²x), and sum and difference identities (sin(x ± y) = sinx cosy ± cosx siny and cos(x ± y) = cosx cosy ∓ sinx siny).

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in solving Trig Identity RHS LHS problems?

The best way to practice and improve your skills in solving Trig Identity RHS LHS problems is by doing lots of practice problems. You can find these types of problems in textbooks, online resources, and practice tests. It's also helpful to review and familiarize yourself with the common trigonometric identities used in these problems. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial in improving your skills.