1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig Identity

1. Aug 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that tanx + 1 = secx.

2. Relevant equations
    sinx/cosx + 1 = 1/cosx

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Have you tried substituting a value, any value, to confirm this may be true?

It will be rather difficult to prove that it's an identity if it really isn't. :redface:

4. Aug 11, 2011 #3

eumyang

Homework Helper

Check wherever you got this problem from to see if you copied it correctly. It looks like something is missing in the original problem.

5. Aug 11, 2011 #4
    Don't you mean tan2x + 1 = sec2x?

6. Aug 11, 2011 #5
    I wish I did. I am reviewing precalc with a student as a private tutorto prepare him for H.S. Calc. and this problem was one that neither of us could figure out.

7. Aug 11, 2011 #6
    I think you forgot the squares... if you meant them then
    start with
    sin(x)^2+cos(x)^2=1
    Do you have any clue or idea were to go from here?

8. Aug 12, 2011 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What people are telling you is that you cannot prove tan x+ 1= sec x, it is NOT true. For example if x= 45 degrees ([itex]\pi/4[/itex], the left side is 2 while the right side is [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex].

You can prove that [itex]tan^2 x+ 1= sec^2(x)[/itex] for all x.

9. Aug 12, 2011 #8
    I realize that and have come to the conclusion that either I miscopied the problem, the book has a misprint, or we both misunderstood the instructions. Thanks everyone. I will look at the problem at our next session and figure out where to go.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook