Proving the Trigonometric Identity: tanx + 1 = secx

• Thread starter minajo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the problem of proving that tanx + 1 = secx. The person asking the question is reviewing precalc with a student and is having trouble figuring out a solution. Other people in the conversation suggest that there may be an error in the problem and offer alternative equations to prove. Ultimately, it is determined that the original equation is not true and the conversation ends with the person planning to revisit the problem at a later time.
minajo

Homework Statement

Prove that tanx + 1 = secx.

Homework Equations

sinx/cosx + 1 = 1/cosx

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
minajo said:

Homework Statement

Have you tried substituting a value, any value, to confirm this may be true?

It will be rather difficult to prove that it's an identity if it really isn't. :redface:

minajo said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

sinx/cosx + 1 = 1/cosx

The Attempt at a Solution

Check wherever you got this problem from to see if you copied it correctly. It looks like something is missing in the original problem.

Don't you mean tan2x + 1 = sec2x?

I wish I did. I am reviewing precalc with a student as a private tutorto prepare him for H.S. Calc. and this problem was one that neither of us could figure out.

I think you forgot the squares... if you meant them then
start with
sin(x)^2+cos(x)^2=1
Do you have any clue or idea were to go from here?

What people are telling you is that you cannot prove tan x+ 1= sec x, it is NOT true. For example if x= 45 degrees ([itex]\pi/4[/itex], the left side is 2 while the right side is [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex].

You can prove that [itex]tan^2 x+ 1= sec^2(x)[/itex] for all x.

I realize that and have come to the conclusion that either I miscopied the problem, the book has a misprint, or we both misunderstood the instructions. Thanks everyone. I will look at the problem at our next session and figure out where to go.

What is tanx and secx?

Tanx and secx are trigonometric functions commonly used in mathematics. Tanx represents the tangent of angle x, while secx represents the secant of angle x.

What does it mean to prove tanx + 1 = secx?

To prove tanx + 1 = secx means to show that the two trigonometric expressions are equal for all possible values of x. In other words, the equation is true for any angle x.

What are the steps for proving tanx + 1 = secx?

The steps for proving tanx + 1 = secx are as follows:

1. Start with the expression tanx + 1.
  2. Use the identity tanx = sinx/cosx to rewrite the expression.
  3. Substitute secx = 1/cosx for the expression cosx in the numerator.
  4. Simplify the expression to get 1/cosx + 1.
  5. Use the identity secx = 1/cosx to rewrite the expression as secx + 1.
  6. Since the original expression was tanx + 1, and we have arrived at secx + 1, we have proven that tanx + 1 = secx.

Why is proving tanx + 1 = secx important?

Proving tanx + 1 = secx is important because it is a fundamental trigonometric identity that is used in various mathematical calculations and proofs. It also helps in understanding the relationship between different trigonometric functions.

What are some real-life applications of proving tanx + 1 = secx?

Proving tanx + 1 = secx has many real-life applications, such as in engineering, surveying, and navigation. It is also used in physics and astronomy to calculate angles and distances. Additionally, understanding this identity can help in solving problems related to triangles and circles.