Solve Trig Identity with Cot 3u Problem

• Thread starter geffman1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation was about breaking up a trig proof problem involving cot(3u). The suggested approach was to use the triple angle formula for tan3u and express it as cot(u+2u) using sum formulas. The speakers also mentioned the definition of cot(u) and suggested providing more context or the entire question for a more specific answer.
geffman1
hey guys just had a test, i got a trig proof prob with cot 3u, just wondering how u break it up. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Break it up into what?

the most I can tell you is that cot(3u)=1/tan(3u)

and one can use the triple angle formula for tan3u and get another equivalent expression.

I take it you know [itex]\cot u=\frac{\cos u}{\sin u}[/itex]. We could express this in a whole lot of ways. So you may want to give us the entire question or the expression you are working towards.

As rockl.freak667 and Cyosis said, there are many different ways to "break up" such a function? What, exactly, was the statement of the problem?

I think I would be inclined to write it as cot(3u)= cot(u+ 2u) and use "sum" formulas. That's because I don't happen to remember offhand the "triple angle formula" rock.freak667 mentioned!

What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all values of the variables involved. In other words, it is an equality that holds true for all possible values of the angles and sides in a triangle.

Why is it important to solve trigonometric identities?

Solving trigonometric identities is important because it helps us simplify complex expressions and equations involving trigonometric functions. It also allows us to prove other mathematical statements and solve real-world problems.

What is the process for solving a trigonometric identity?

The process for solving a trigonometric identity involves using trigonometric identities, properties, and algebraic manipulations to transform the given expression into an equivalent form. This often requires knowledge of basic trigonometric identities and algebraic techniques such as factoring, expanding, and simplifying.

What is the role of cotangent in trigonometric identities?

The cotangent function, cot x or cotan x, is the reciprocal of the tangent function. In trigonometric identities, the cotangent function is often used to simplify expressions that involve the tangent function, since they are inverses of each other.

How can I check if my solution to a trigonometric identity is correct?

To check if a solution to a trigonometric identity is correct, substitute the values of the given angles and sides into both sides of the equation. If the resulting values on both sides are equal, then the solution is correct. Additionally, you can use a graphing calculator or trigonometric tables to verify your solution.