1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig identiy prob

1. Jun 13, 2009 #1
    hey guys just had a test, i got a trig proof prob with cot 3u, just wondering how u break it up. thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Break it up into what?

the most I can tell you is that cot(3u)=1/tan(3u)

and one can use the triple angle formula for tan3u and get another equivalent expression.

4. Jun 14, 2009 #3

Cyosis

Homework Helper

I take it you know [itex]\cot u=\frac{\cos u}{\sin u}[/itex]. We could express this in a whole lot of ways. So you may want to give us the entire question or the expression you are working towards.

5. Jun 14, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As rockl.freak667 and Cyosis said, there are many different ways to "break up" such a function? What, exactly, was the statement of the problem?

I think I would be inclined to write it as cot(3u)= cot(u+ 2u) and use "sum" formulas. That's because I don't happen to remember offhand the "triple angle formula" rock.freak667 mentioned!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook