1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig in 3D

1. Jun 21, 2014 #1
    Hello,

First time posting to Physics Forums.

I have been thinking about rotation transformations and am a bit confused on how trig works in 3D.

In 2D, convention says the positive x-axis points to the right, the positive y-axis points upward, and positive angles are measured from the positive x-axis in a counter-clockwise fashion. Proper insertion of a third dimension has the positive z-axis pointing toward the viewer.

How do these rules translate to other perspectives of the 3 cartesian axes? For example, if the positive x axis points to the left, the positive z axis points up, and the positive y axis points toward the viewer. Is positive rotation still counter-clockwise? What axis is this angle measured from?

I suspect that the convention is arbitrary but there must be some criteria for consistency. A little bit of context: ultimately, I want to use this knowledge to construct matrix transformations to control the orientation of a simple 3D shape. When I try to work these out by hand, I keep getting the signs wrong.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook