1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig in a calculus problem

1. Sep 11, 2006 #1
    The problem I am given is:
    [​IMG]

I determined that the MVT can be applied, I found the derivative of f(x) [f'(x) = (2cos(x) + 2cos(2x)], and now I need to determine where f'(x) = 0 (the slope of the secant line through the points (pi, f(pi)) and (2pi, f(2pi)).

The problem I'm having is in determining the values for x for this equation:
    cos(x) + cos(2x) = 0

I know how to find this value with a graph/calculator, but I'm having trouble finding it analytically. I've tried applying a few trigonometric identites to the second term, but I still can't get the equation into any form that makes finding x a straightforward process for me.

It's been a while since I took trig, so some of this is fuzzy. I just need some nudging in the right direction.
    Thanks,
    -GeoMike-

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2006 #2

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

So you have 0 = cos(x) + cos(2x)
    cos 2x = cos^2(x) - sin^2(x)
    = cos^2(x) - (1 - cos^2(x))
    = 2 cos^2(x) - 1
    so, 0 = cos(x) + 2 cos^2(x) - 1. This is a quadratic in cos(x).

4. Sep 11, 2006 #3
    :tongue2:
    I had that written down, but totally overlooked the quadratic equation.

So, the only x value in the open interval (pi, 2pi) that makes f'(x)=0 is 5pi/3

Thanks!
    -GeoMike-

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?