1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig Inequality

1. Feb 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given 0≤x<2pi, solve tan x/2 > -1

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought I would set tan x/2=-1 but I'm not sure.

Is the answer 0<x<pi, 3pi/2<x<2pi?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2009 #2
    Your answer doesn't look right to me.

Why not try a graphical approach? From 0 to 2pi there will be 4 periods, and it looks like there will be 4 intervals in your solution.

Oops! The period is 2pi, not pi/2. Yes, it seems your solution is right. Without a graph, I like your approach of solving the equality. Then plug in some test points on either side of each solution you get. Pay attention to asymptotes (x = pi in this case).

4. Feb 6, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, solving tan(x/2)= -1 is the way to start. On any interval NOT including a root of tan(x/2)= -1 and NOT including [itex]\pi[/itex], where tan(x/2) is not continuous, tan(x/2) is always less than -1 or always less than -1. Determine what those intervals are and check one point in each interval to see if tan(x/2), on that interval, is greater than -1.

5. Feb 9, 2009 #4
    I got one question.

What if I have cosx > -1 and 0≤x<2п ?

x Є (-п, п) or x Є (п,3п) оr x Є (п,п+2kп), k Є Z

But because of 0≤x<2п would x Є (0,п) or x Є (п,2п) or x Є ( kп, п(k+1) ) where k Є Z.

Am I right?

6. Feb 9, 2009 #5
    Your first answer is closer than your second answer. If you're restricted to [0, 2pi) then there's no need to mess with the k values.

Two hints: cos(0) = 1 and cos(pi) = -1

7. Feb 10, 2009 #6
    Yes, you're right. I don't want to mess with k values.

So my answer is (0,п) or (п,2п)

And what about cosx < -1 . As I know there isn't smallest value than -1 in cos. So is x Є empty set?

Thanks for the help.

Regards.

8. Feb 10, 2009 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, {x| cos(x)< -1} is the empty set.

9. Feb 10, 2009 #8
    Right. And remember that, for the original problem, zero is part of the solution. So your interval should start with a [ instead of a (

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook