Solving for x: 0<x<2pi When tan x/2 > -1

• Thread starter dorkee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tan
In summary, the solution to the problem is [0,pi) or (pi,2pi) and the solution to cosx < -1 is the empty set.
dorkee

Homework Statement

Given 0≤x<2pi, solve tan x/2 > -1

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I would set tan x/2=-1 but I'm not sure.

Is the answer 0<x<pi, 3pi/2<x<2pi?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer doesn't look right to me.

Why not try a graphical approach? From 0 to 2pi there will be 4 periods, and it looks like there will be 4 intervals in your solution.

Oops! The period is 2pi, not pi/2. Yes, it seems your solution is right. Without a graph, I like your approach of solving the equality. Then plug in some test points on either side of each solution you get. Pay attention to asymptotes (x = pi in this case).

dorkee said:

Homework Statement

Given 0≤x<2pi, solve tan x/2 > -1

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I would set tan x/2=-1 but I'm not sure.

Is the answer 0<x<pi, 3pi/2<x<2pi?
Yes, solving tan(x/2)= -1 is the way to start. On any interval NOT including a root of tan(x/2)= -1 and NOT including [itex]\pi[/itex], where tan(x/2) is not continuous, tan(x/2) is always less than -1 or always less than -1. Determine what those intervals are and check one point in each interval to see if tan(x/2), on that interval, is greater than -1.

I got one question.

What if I have cosx > -1 and 0≤x<2п ?

x Є (-п, п) or x Є (п,3п) оr x Є (п,п+2kп), k Є Z

But because of 0≤x<2п would x Є (0,п) or x Є (п,2п) or x Є ( kп, п(k+1) ) where k Є Z.

Am I right?

Your first answer is closer than your second answer. If you're restricted to [0, 2pi) then there's no need to mess with the k values.

Two hints: cos(0) = 1 and cos(pi) = -1

romolo said:
Your first answer is closer than your second answer. If you're restricted to [0, 2pi) then there's no need to mess with the k values.

Two hints: cos(0) = 1 and cos(pi) = -1

Yes, you're right. I don't want to mess with k values.

So my answer is (0,п) or (п,2п)

And what about cosx < -1 . As I know there isn't smallest value than -1 in cos. So is x Є empty set?

Thanks for the help.

Regards.

Yes, {x| cos(x)< -1} is the empty set.

Right. And remember that, for the original problem, zero is part of the solution. So your interval should start with a [ instead of a (

1. What is the range of values for x in the equation 0

The range of values for x in the equation is between 0 and 2pi, meaning x can be any value greater than 0 and less than 2pi.

2. How do I know when tan x/2 is greater than -1?

You can determine when tan x/2 is greater than -1 by looking at the graph of the tangent function. When the graph is above the x-axis, the value of tan x/2 is greater than -1.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve for x?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve for x. Simply input the equation into your calculator and solve for x using the appropriate buttons or functions.

4. What is the significance of the restriction 0

The restriction 0

5. How do I solve for x in this equation?

To solve for x in this equation, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, substitution, or simplifying the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator to find the intersection points of the tangent function and the line y=-1, which will give you the solutions for x.