Solving Trig Problems: Finding x for (sinx)^4 & (cosx)^4

• Thread starter armolinasf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary: There is no real answer that is correct for all cases. You will have to find a way to solve it that is applicable to your situation.Thanks for the help.In summary, on the first problem, you can solve it using a pythagorean identity. For the second problem, you can find the maximum value by solving the equation numerically or by graphing the function.
armolinasf

Homework Statement

I have to trig problems which I'm not entirely sure how to approach:

1) For which angles x is (sinx)^4-(cosx)^4 > (sinx)^2-(cosx)^2?

2) For what value x is the expression (sinx-cosx)^2+(sinx+cosx)^2 as large as possible?

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one I was able to add and subtract 1 to the left side which gave me a difference of squares that let me use the pythagorean identity leaving me with sinx^2-cosx^2>sinx^2_cosx^2 But this doesn't really make sense, so I'm not sure where to go.

For the second, am I supposed to do this numerically? or how would I approach it analytically?

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
armolinasf said:

Homework Statement

I have to trig problems which I'm not entirely sure how to approach:

1) For which angles x is (sinx)^4-(cosx)^4 > (sinx)^2-(cosx)^2?

2) For what value x is the expression (sinx-cosx)^2+(sinx+cosx)^2 as large as possible?

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one I was able to add and subtract 1 to the left side which gave me a difference of squares that let me use the pythagorean identity leaving me with sinx^2-cosx^2>sinx^2_cosx^2 But this doesn't really make sense, so I'm not sure where to go.

For the second, am I supposed to do this numerically? or how would I approach it analytically?

Thanks for the help.

On the first one, you are missing a very simple approach. What does (sinx)^2-(cosx)^2 times (sinx)^2+(cosx)^2 equal? Since (sinx)^2+(cosx)^2 is equal to one, you can multiply the right hand side by it without changing anything.

For the second one, take the derivative and set it equal to zero. The roots are potentially points of maximum value. You can solve the equation numerically using Newton's method or another approach. Also, plot out the function to get a visual feel for what is happening.

Great. That definitely points me in the right direction, Thanks.

armolinasf said:
Great. That definitely points me in the right direction, Thanks.

Also, take a good look at the second problem. It looks to me there is an easier way to solve this one without numerical solution.

for the first one you get sin^2x-cos^2x>1 I'm tempted to use a pythagorean identity by subtracting sin^2x and then dividing both sides by cos^2x but that would give me something which doesn't make sense: -1>1.

Do I have to get x isolated on one side to figure out which value makes the statement true?

For b) I expanded the binomials and it simplified to 2(sin^2x+cos^2x)=2*1 so is 2 the greatest possible value? and why does this work?

armolinasf said:
for the first one you get sin^2x-cos^2x>1 I'm tempted to use a pythagorean identity by subtracting sin^2x and then dividing both sides by cos^2x but that would give me something which doesn't make sense: -1>1.

Do I have to get x isolated on one side to figure out which value makes the statement true?

For b) I expanded the binomials and it simplified to 2(sin^2x+cos^2x)=2*1 so is 2 the greatest possible value? and why does this work?
That's right for part (b).

For part (a): Use the fact that A4 ‒ B4 = (A2 ‒ B2)(A2 + B2).

using difference of squares I get (sin^2x-cos^2x)(sin^2x+cos^2x)>(sin^2x-cos^2x) divide both sides by sin^2x-cos^2 and using a pythagorean identity you get 1>1 correct?

armolinasf said:
using difference of squares I get (sin^2x-cos^2x)(sin^2x+cos^2x)>(sin^2x-cos^2x) divide both sides by sin^2x-cos^2 and using a pythagorean identity you get 1>1 correct?

Yes. They gave you a trick question. The relation is an identity, so one side can not the greater that the other. Hence, there is no angle that meets the criterion.

The second problem is also a trick question.

What is the purpose of solving trigonometric problems?

The purpose of solving trigonometric problems is to find missing information or unknown values in a given trigonometric equation. This is crucial in many fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy, where trigonometric functions are used to model and solve real-world problems.

What is the process for solving trigonometric problems?

The process for solving trigonometric problems involves using trigonometric identities, properties, and rules to manipulate the given function and isolate the variable of interest. This may involve converting between different forms of trigonometric functions, using algebraic techniques, and applying mathematical principles such as the Pythagorean theorem.

What is the significance of (sinx)^4 and (cosx)^4 in trigonometric problems?

(sinx)^4 and (cosx)^4 are both examples of trigonometric expressions raised to a power. These expressions are often used in trigonometric problems because they can simplify complicated equations and make them easier to solve. In addition, they can also help to identify patterns and relationships between different trigonometric functions.

How do I find the value of x for (sinx)^4 and (cosx)^4?

To find the value of x for (sinx)^4 and (cosx)^4, you will need to use trigonometric identities and algebraic techniques to manipulate the given equation and isolate the variable. This may involve converting between different forms of trigonometric functions, using the Pythagorean theorem, and solving for the value of x using basic algebraic principles.

Are there any tips or tricks for solving trigonometric problems involving (sinx)^4 and (cosx)^4?

One helpful tip for solving trigonometric problems involving (sinx)^4 and (cosx)^4 is to first simplify the equation as much as possible. This may involve using trigonometric identities, factoring, or simplifying fractions. Additionally, it is important to carefully consider the given information and the desired unknown to determine the most appropriate approach for solving the problem. Practice and familiarity with trigonometric functions and their properties can also be beneficial in solving these types of problems.