1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig integral from hell

1. Mar 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{3cosx-10sinx}{10cosx+3sinx}[/tex] from -pi/3 to pi/3

2. Relevant equations
    some sort of identity maybe?

3. The attempt at a solution
    well...I made the mistake of saying the answer was zero since it's an odd function (yes, i know this is ridiculously not right) and so incurred the wrath of my calculus teacher. if someone can help me get started on this then maybe I can salvage something resembling a grade.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

you could try writing
    [tex] 10 = A.cos(\alpha) [/tex]
    [tex] 3 = A.sin(\alpha) [/tex]

for unknown A & alpha, plug this into your equation then make use of some tirg identities for angle sums...
    maybe not that exactly... but something along those lines has a good chance of working

4. Mar 9, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

lanedance had the start of this idea. Let's see if I can finish it off. First off, notice that the same two numbers appear: 3 and 10. If you square them, add them, and take the square root, you get sqrt(109). This will enter into things in a little while.

1. For the numerator, you have 3cos(x) - 10 sin(x). If this were sinA*cosx - cosA * sinx, you could rewrite this as sin(A - x).

2. Simililarly, you have 10cos(x) + 3sin(x) in the denominator. If this were cosA*cos(x) + sinA*sin(x), you could rewrite it as cos(A - x).

The trouble is, there is no A for which cosA = 10 or for which sinA = 3. This is where sqrt(109) comes in. Multiply the numerator and denominator of your integrand by 1 in the form of (1/sqrt(109))/(1/sqrt(109)).

The numerator now looks like 3/sqrt(109) * cos(x) - 10/sqrt(109)* sin(x). The denominator now looks like 10/sqrt(109) * cos(x) + 3/sqrt(109) * sin(x). So sinA = 3/sqrt(109) and cosA = 10/sqrt(109), and these should hold for both the numerator and denominator.

With this work, you can rewrite the integrand as sin(A - x)/cos(A - x), which is tan(A - x), which is easy enough to integrate. You'll need to find A, of course, which can be done by using the appropriate inverse functions in either sinA = 3/sqrt(109) or cosA = 10/sqrt(109).

5. Mar 9, 2009 #4
    wow, thanks you guys. this is definitely something that I never would have done. we spent like two seconds on product sum rules and I didn't really understand that they could be used like this. i'll need to write this down and stare at it for a couple minutes but thanks! I sense a passing grade in my future.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook