Solving Trig Integral: \int\frac{dx}{1-tan^2(x)}

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find an equation for the homework function u=tanx. I tried various substitution and partial fraction integrals and ended up with the correct answer through a trig substitution.
noblerare

Homework Statement

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{dx}{1-tan^2(x)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I've tried:
u=tanx
x=arctanu

dx=[tex]\frac{du}{1+u^2}[/tex]

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{du}{(1+u^2)(1-u^2)}[/tex]

I then used partial fractions to get:
[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{0.5}{1-u^2}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{0.5}{1+u^2}[/tex]du

[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{du}{1+u^2}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]\int\frac{du}{1-u^2}[/tex]

The left side is simply arctanu while I used trig substitution to solve the right side
[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]arctanu-[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]\int[/tex]csc[tex]\theta[/tex]d[tex]\theta[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]arctan(tanx)+[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]ln(csc[tex]\theta[/tex]+cot[tex]\theta[/tex]) + C

[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]x + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]ln([tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-u^2}}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{u}{\sqrt{1-u^2}}[/tex]) + C

With more re-substitution, I end up with:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]x+[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]ln(tanx+1)-[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]ln([tex]\sqrt{1-tan(x)^2}[/tex]+C

For some reason, this is incorrect because when I try to take the derivative of that, I do not end up with [tex]\frac{1}{1-tan(x)^2}[/tex]

Is there something I'm doing wrong? What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd like to see your work with the partial fractions.

Did it look like ... [tex]\frac{1}{(1+u^2)(1-u^2)}=\frac{Ax+B}{1+u^2}+\frac{Cx+D}{1-u^2}[/tex] ... ?

rocomath said:
I'd like to see your work with the partial fractions.

Did it look like ... [tex]\frac{1}{(1+u^2)(1-u^2)}=\frac{Au+B}{1+u^2}+\frac{Cu+D}{1-u^2}[/tex] ... ?

Shouldn't it be

[tex]\frac{1}{(1+u^2)(1-u)(1+u)} \equiv \frac{Au+B}{1+u^2}+\frac{C}{1-u}+ \frac{D}{1+u}[/tex]

or does it not matter about the [itex]1-u^2[/itex]?

rock.freak667 said:
Shouldn't it be

[tex]\frac{1}{(1+u^2)(1-u)(1+u)} \equiv \frac{Au+B}{1+u^2}+\frac{C}{1-u}+ \frac{D}{1+u}[/tex]

or does it not matter about the [itex]1-u^2[/itex]?
Good question, I overlooked that part.

I think his decomposition is valid (it certainly combines back correctly).

Try using this: [tex]\int \frac{1}{a^{2}-u^{2}}du = \frac{1}{2a}\ln{\frac{|u+a|}{|u-a|}}+c[/tex]

For your sake I hope you are using a calculator when you work it out.

To rocomath: yes, my partial fractions work did look like that. I did not try it the way rock.freak667 did it. Does it matter?

To exk: Thanks for the help, but could you maybe explain how that you got that integral? And yes, I am using a calculator : D

He got that integral through partial fractions again, and then using [itex]\log b - \log a = \log \left( \frac{b}{a}\right)[/itex]

exk said:
I think his decomposition is valid (it certainly combines back correctly).

Try using this: [tex]\int \frac{1}{a^{2}-u^{2}}du = \frac{1}{2a}\ln{\frac{|u+a|}{|u-a|}}+c[/tex]

For your sake I hope you are using a calculator when you work it out.

To do this integral, use partial fractions and integrate.

How do I make

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{dx}{1-tan^2x}[/tex] look like [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{du}{a^2-u^2}[/tex] though?

Do I need to subtitute u=tanx? If so, I don't know how to change the variable of integration so that it matches that the second integral

Or can I simply take tanx as plug it into that equation?

Wow! noblerare, your solution is correct!

[tex]\int\frac{dx}{1-\tan^2 x}=\frac{1}{2}x+\frac{1}{2}\ln\left( 1+ \tan x\right)-\frac{1}{2}\ln \sqrt{1- \tan^2 x}+C[/tex]

Check:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left[\frac{1}{2}x+\frac{1}{2}\ln\left( 1+ \tan x\right)-\frac{1}{2}\ln \sqrt{1- \tan^2 x}+C\right] = \frac{1}{2}+\frac{\sec^2 x}{2(1+ \tan x)}+\frac{\sec^2 x\tan x}{2(1- \tan^2 x)} = \frac{1}{1- \tan^2 x}[/tex]

noblerare said:
How do I make

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{dx}{1-tan^2x}[/tex] look like [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{du}{a^2-u^2}[/tex] though?

Do I need to subtitute u=tanx? If so, I don't know how to change the variable of integration so that it matches that the second integral

Or can I simply take tanx as plug it into that equation?

You already had it in that form following your substitution. You have:

[tex]
\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{du}{1+u^2}+\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{du}{1-u^2}
[/tex]

If a=1 and u=u, then the integral in the second part is in the form you want.

ah...i see,i got it; okay, thanks everybody!

1. How do I approach solving this trig integral?

One approach is to use the trigonometric identity, 1-tan^2(x) = cos^2(x), to rewrite the integrand. Then, you can use the substitution method to solve the integral.

2. What is the domain of this integral?

The domain of this integral is all real numbers except for values where tan^2(x) = 1, which occurs when x = (n+1/2)π for integer values of n. These values would result in a division by zero and therefore are not included in the domain.

3. Can I use a different trigonometric identity to solve this integral?

Yes, you can also use the identity tan^2(x) = sec^2(x) - 1 to rewrite the integrand and then use the substitution method to solve the integral. Both approaches will result in the same solution.

4. Is there a shortcut for solving this trig integral?

Yes, you can use the substitution u = tan(x) to solve the integral in a more direct way. This will result in the integral ∫du/u^2, which can be easily solved using the power rule.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve this trig integral?

While some calculators may have the capability to solve trig integrals, it is always beneficial to understand the steps involved in solving the integral by hand. Additionally, not all calculators may have this feature, so it is important to be able to solve the integral using manual methods as well.