1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig Integral Problem

1. Sep 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If [tex]\int_{0}^{pi/4}\tan^{6}(x)sec(x)dx = I[/tex] then express [tex]\int_{0}^{pi/4}\tan^{8}(x)sec(x)dx[/tex] in terms of I.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I figured you would have to get the second equation to look like the first one, so I pulled out a tan^2(x) to make it
    [tex]\int_{0}^{pi/4}\((sec^{2}(x)-1)tan^{6}(x)sec(x)dx[/tex] then
    [tex]\int_{0}^{pi/4}\sec^{2}{x}tan^{6}(x)sec(x)dx - I[/tex]

And here's where I get stuck. My thought is to use integration by parts, setting sec^2 = u, and tan^6xsecxdx = dv. However this just leads me to a dead end when I try to figure out what v could be. Using the opposite substitution (u = tan^6... etc) I end up with

[tex]tan^{7}(x)sec(x) - 6\int_{0}^{pi/4}\tan^{6}(x)sec^{3}(x)dx = 2\int_{0}^{pi/4}\tan^{8}(x)sec(x)dx[/tex]

which gives me the same problem I had to begin with (an even power to tangent and an odd power of secant).

Is there some substitution I could make somewhere?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2007 #2
    Have you tried integrating by parts using dv = sec x tan x?
  4. Sep 4, 2007 #3
    Yeah... that gets me:

u = sec^2xtan^5x dv = secxtanx
    du = 2sec^2xtan^6x + 5tan^4xsec^4x

[tex]sec^{3}(x)tan^{5}(x) - \int_{0}^{pi/4}\sec(x)[2sec^{2}(x)tan^{6}(x) + 5tan^{4}(x)sec^{4}(x)]dx[/tex]

[tex]sec^{3}(x)tan^{5}(x) - 2\int_{0}^{pi/4}\sec^{3}(x)tan^{6}(x) - 5\int_{0}^{pi/4}\tan^{4}(x)sec^{5}(x)dx[/tex]

Which still leaves me with odd powers of secant and even powers of tangent...

EDIT: Woops, dropped the "- I" after all of those, but it's pretty irrelevant.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  5. Sep 4, 2007 #4
    Hmm.. I just tried a different approach, would like to know if this is a correct approach...

using u = secx, dv = tan^6xsec^2x
    du = secxtanx, v = (1/7)tan^7x

[tex]\frac{sec(x)tan^{7}(x)}{7} - \frac{1}{7}\int_{0}^{pi/4}\sec(x)tan^{8}(x)dx - I = \int_{0}^{pi/4}tan^{8}(x)sec(x)dx[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{7} - I = \frac{8}{7}\int_{0}^{pi/4}tan^{8}(x)sec(x)dx[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{\sqrt{2}-7I}{8}[/tex]

this look right?
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  6. Sep 4, 2007 #5
    Looks good to me. (And for the record, you can get the same result by using using dv = sec x tan x in the *original* equation. You'll get an integral with sec^3 x, which you can rewrite as sec x(1 + tan^2 x).)
  7. Sep 4, 2007 #6
    Ah... yeah I see. I did that at one point but didn't think to write sec^2 as (1+tan^2). Anyway, thanks a ton.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?