How do I solve this trigonometric integral: I(tan^3x/cos^4x, x)?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the integral of I(tan^3x/cos^4x,x) and comparing it to the integral of I(tan^3x * sec^4x,x). The correct solution is found to be tan^6x/6+tan^4x/4+C which can also be obtained by using the identity sec2 = tan2x + 1. The speaker also mentions that this solution seems to be the easiest integral for the problem.
nameVoid

Homework Statement

I(tan^3x/cos^4x,x)
I(tan^3x * sec^4x,x)
I((sec^2x-1)sec^4x*tanx,x)
u=secx du=secxtanx
I((u^2-1)u^3,u)
u^6/6-u^4/4+C
sec^6x/6-sec^4x/4+C

im new to this and my book is showing diffrent solutions i see nothing wrong here

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct. What is the solution from your book?

tan^6x/6+tan^4x/4+C

Are you sure the two solutions are different? (By more than just adding a constant.)

That answer is also correct. You can get that answer from yours by using sec2 = tan2x + 1, multiplying out the numerators, and simplifying.

The answer you got seems to be the easiest integral to find for the problem.

1. How do I approach solving this integral?

The first step in solving any integral is to identify the appropriate trigonometric identities that can be used to simplify the expression. In this case, we can use the identity tan^2x + 1 = sec^2x to rewrite the integral as I(sec^2x tanx/cos^4x, x).

2. What is the next step after simplifying with trigonometric identities?

After simplifying the expression, we can use the substitution method to solve the integral. Let u = tanx, which means du = sec^2x dx. Substituting these values into the integral, we get I(u^3/cos^4x, x) = I(u^3, u).

3. What is the key to solving this integral using substitution?

The key to solving this integral using substitution is to choose a substitution that will eliminate all instances of the variable in the integral. In this case, we chose u = tanx, which eliminated the cos^4x term in the denominator.

4. How do I integrate u^3?

Integrating u^3 is a simple matter of applying the power rule of integration. This means that I(u^3, u) = (u^4)/4 + C. Remember to substitute back in the original variable x to get the final solution.

5. Are there any additional steps I need to take to complete the solution?

Yes, there is one final step to complete the solution. Now that we have the indefinite integral (u^4)/4 + C, we need to substitute back in the original variable x to get the final solution. This means that the final solution is (tan^4x)/4 + C.