1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig Integral

1. Oct 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\int[/itex]sin[itex]^{5}[/itex]x cos x dx

2. Relevant equations

sin[itex]^{2}[/itex]x + cos[itex]^{2}[/itex] x = 1

3. The attempt at a solution

I've at least written down that sin[itex]^{5}[/itex]x = (sin[itex]^{2}[/itex]x)[itex]^{2}[/itex] sin x. Then I set sin[itex]^{2}[/itex]x equal to 1 - cos[itex]^{2}[/itex]x.

I then did a u-substitution, setting u equal to cos x to remove the sin x, and preceeded to integrate with respect to u. I ended up with [itex]\frac{1}{6}[/itex]cos[itex]^{6}[/itex]x + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]cos[itex]^{4}[/itex]x - [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]cos[itex]^{2}[/itex]x + C

The answer I received was [itex]\frac{1}{6}[/itex]sin[itex]^{6}[/itex]x + C

Can I get some insight on how to obtain that?

My textbook does give a procedure for this specific case (where one of the powers is odd), but I don't get the following instructions: "Then we combine the single sin x with dx in the integral and set sinxdx equal to -d(cosx)" which is stated after using the identity to replace the (sin[itex]^{2}[/itex]x)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do a u substitution directly on the problem as it was initially given to you.

What is the derivative of sin(x) ?

4. Oct 17, 2012 #3

Right, I feel kinda "slow" now.

Any way to use the trig identity to solve this though?

5. Oct 17, 2012 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

.... Make the substitution u = sinx and find du just like sammy said. The rest will follow.

6. Oct 17, 2012 #5
    Yeah, I did that. Just curious if I can still use the identity to solve this though. Otherwise, I suppose that's it

7. Oct 17, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you can do it that way as well. Though I think there's a sign error in the answer you gave.

8. Oct 17, 2012 #7
    -[itex]\frac{1}{6}[/itex]cos[itex]^{6}[/itex]x + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]cos[itex]^{4}[/itex]x - [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]cos[itex]^{2}[/itex]x + C

I think I was missing that negative. Is this correct?

9. Oct 17, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yep.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook