Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Trig Integral

1. Oct 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\int[/itex]sin[itex]^{5}[/itex]x cos x dx

2. Relevant equations

sin[itex]^{2}[/itex]x + cos[itex]^{2}[/itex] x = 1

3. The attempt at a solution

I've at least written down that sin[itex]^{5}[/itex]x = (sin[itex]^{2}[/itex]x)[itex]^{2}[/itex] sin x. Then I set sin[itex]^{2}[/itex]x equal to 1 - cos[itex]^{2}[/itex]x.

I then did a u-substitution, setting u equal to cos x to remove the sin x, and preceeded to integrate with respect to u. I ended up with [itex]\frac{1}{6}[/itex]cos[itex]^{6}[/itex]x + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]cos[itex]^{4}[/itex]x - [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]cos[itex]^{2}[/itex]x + C

The answer I received was [itex]\frac{1}{6}[/itex]sin[itex]^{6}[/itex]x + C

Can I get some insight on how to obtain that?

My textbook does give a procedure for this specific case (where one of the powers is odd), but I don't get the following instructions: "Then we combine the single sin x with dx in the integral and set sinxdx equal to -d(cosx)" which is stated after using the identity to replace the (sin[itex]^{2}[/itex]x)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do a u substitution directly on the problem as it was initially given to you.

What is the derivative of sin(x) ?

4. Oct 17, 2012 #3

Right, I feel kinda "slow" now.

Any way to use the trig identity to solve this though?

5. Oct 17, 2012 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

.... Make the substitution u = sinx and find du just like sammy said. The rest will follow.

6. Oct 17, 2012 #5
    Yeah, I did that. Just curious if I can still use the identity to solve this though. Otherwise, I suppose that's it

7. Oct 17, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you can do it that way as well. Though I think there's a sign error in the answer you gave.

8. Oct 17, 2012 #7
    -[itex]\frac{1}{6}[/itex]cos[itex]^{6}[/itex]x + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]cos[itex]^{4}[/itex]x - [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]cos[itex]^{2}[/itex]x + C

I think I was missing that negative. Is this correct?

9. Oct 17, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yep.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook