Finding an Integral with Trigonometric Substitution

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the integral -sin^2(3x)/(3cos(x))dx through substitution and trigonometric identities. It is suggested to use the substitution u=sin(3x) and du=3cos(3x), but this leads to a sin(3x) term. The conversation then suggests using the trig identity \int sec(x) tan(x) dx = sec(x) to rewrite the integral as -sin(3x)tan(3x)dx. The conversation ends with a clarification that the argument of the cosine should be 3x and a reminder to use the identity \sin^2 x = 1-\cos^2 x.
Sparky_

Homework Statement

Can I get some help with:

[tex] \int -\frac {sin^2(3x)}{3cos(x)} dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It looks like a substitution would work but I'm striking out with:

[tex] u = sin(3x)[/tex]
[tex] du = 3cos(3x)[/tex]
because this is now in the denominatior

[tex] u = cos(3x)[/tex]
[tex] du = -3sin(3x)[/tex]

I'm left with a sin(3x) term.

I'm guessing a trig identity is now going to be involved.

I have found that

[tex] \int sec(x) tan(x) dx = sec(x) [/tex]

My problem can be re-written as

[tex] \int - sin(3x) tan(3x) dx [/tex]

?

Thanks for the help.

-Sparky_

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just to clarify, is the argument of the cos correct?
Its just that cos(3x) will be simpler...

Assuming you meant the argument of the cosine to be 3x, its easy to see that you can solve your integral if you can solve:

[tex]\int \frac{ \sin^2 x}{\cos x} dx[/tex]

To do that, remember [itex]\sin^2 x = 1- \cos^2 x[/itex], so that the integral becomes

[tex]\int \left( \sec x - \cos x \right) dx[/tex].

Both of those are usually regarded as standard integrals, although sometimes the secant integral is not. To do that one;

[tex]\int \sec x dx = \int \frac{\cos x}{\cos^2 x} dx = \int \frac{\cos x}{1- \sin^2 x} dx = \int \frac{1}{(1+u)(1-u)} du[/tex] when u = sin x. Now do partial fractions and your home free.

Yes - I meant cos(3x).

Thanks
Sparky_

1. What is trigonometric integration?

Trigonometric integration is the process of finding the integral (or anti-derivative) of a function involving trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. Why is trigonometric integration important?

Trigonometric integration is important because it allows us to solve a wide variety of problems in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve trigonometric functions.

3. How do I solve a trigonometric integral?

To solve a trigonometric integral, you can use various techniques such as integration by substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. It is also important to have a good understanding of the properties and rules of trigonometric functions.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve trigonometric integrals?

Yes, there are certain calculators that have built-in functions for solving trigonometric integrals. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the concepts and techniques involved in order to use a calculator effectively.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometric integrals?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to use the correct substitution, not simplifying expressions properly, and making algebraic errors. It is important to double check your work and be familiar with the properties of trigonometric functions to avoid these mistakes.