1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig. Integration - Please Help?

1. Aug 6, 2006 #1
    [​IMG]

Can anybody please help me explain how to do this step-by-step by using the techniques of integration?

Thank you. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2006 #2

VietDao29

Homework Helper

There should be a chaper in your textbook about trigonometric integral. You can take a look at it.
    Generally, to integrate:
    [tex]\int \tan ^ {2n}x dx[/tex], or [tex]\int \cot ^ {2n}x dx[/tex], we can do as follow:
    Say, we want to integrate:
    [tex]\int \tan ^ 6 x dx = \int ( \tan ^ 6 x + \tan ^ 4 x - \tan ^ 4 x - \tan ^ 2 x + \tan ^ 2 x + 1 - 1) dx[/tex]
    [tex]= \int \tan ^ 4 x (\tan ^ 2 x + 1) dx - \int \tan ^ 2 x (\tan ^ 2 x + 1) dx + \int \sec ^ 2 x dx - \int dx[/tex]
    [tex]= \int \tan ^ 4 x \sec ^ 2 x dx - \int \tan ^ 2 x \sec ^ 2 x dx + \int \sec ^ 2 x dx - \int dx[/tex]
    [tex]= \int \tan ^ 4 x d(\tan x) - \int \tan ^ 2 x d(\tan x) + \int \sec ^ 2 x dx - \int dx[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{\tan ^ 5 x}{5} - \frac{\tan ^ 3 x}{3} + \tan x - x + C[/tex].
    Ok, can you go from here? :)

4. Aug 6, 2006 #3
    For the problem I posted, don't I have to switch "cot" to "cos/sin" (ratio identity) and then use the half-angle/double identities?

5. Aug 6, 2006 #4

VietDao29

Homework Helper

If you change to sin, and cos, and work from there, I think you will be messed up. You'll get some expression quite 'ugly'. You can try to see if it works. :)
    Anyway, have you tried the way I suggested? Did you get the answer?
    In the example, I used the identity: sec2x = tan2x + 1.
    To tackle the problem you asked, you should note that: csc2x = cot2x + 1.

6. Aug 6, 2006 #5
    I really appreciate your help, but I'm still kind of lost. I understand how to do the ones with a "6" exponential, but usually the ones with a "4" exponential confuses me. The integrals with a trig. function alone with an "even" exponential (e.g. Tan^[x]) is what gets me. However, I understand the integrals with two trig. functions (e.g. Tan^3[x]Sec^4[x]). For the integral with a single trig. function and a "4" exponential, are you supposed to split it into two (ex. Cot^2[x]Cot^2[x])?

I tried doing my posted problem and I got:
    1/3csc^3[x] - cscx + C

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  7. Aug 7, 2006 #6

VietDao29

Homework Helper

You can add, and then subtract cot2x, and 1 respectively. Like this:
    [tex]\cot ^ 4 x = \cot ^ 4 x + \cot ^ 2 x - \cot ^ 2 x - 1 + 1[/tex]
    Then we'll try to factor the expression, and we have:
    [tex]\cot ^ 4 x = \cot ^ 4 x + \cot ^ 2 x - \cot ^ 2 x - 1 + 1 = \cot ^ 2 x (\cot ^ 2 x + 1) - (\cot ^ 2 x + 1) + 1 = \cot ^ 2 x \csc ^ 2 x - \csc x + \fbox{1}[/tex].
    The main aim is to factor it so that csc2x appear, and we can then use the substitution:
    [tex]u = \cot x \Rightarrow du = - \csc ^ 2 x[/tex]
    It's the same as my example above. :)
    Be careful with the signs. And you are forgetting an x there. After factoring, you'll be left with a 1 (see the boxed part above). The answer should be:
    something + x + C
    Can you go from here? :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?