Mastering Trig Integration: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the person suggests that you should try the way he suggested and that you should be careful with the signs. He also notes that you may have forgotten an x in your expression.
p4nda
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/5647/integraljr9.jpg

Can anybody please help me explain how to do this step-by-step by using the techniques of integration?

Thank you. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There should be a chapter in your textbook about trigonometric integral. You can take a look at it.
Generally, to integrate:
[tex]\int \tan ^ {2n}x dx[/tex], or [tex]\int \cot ^ {2n}x dx[/tex], we can do as follow:
Say, we want to integrate:
[tex]\int \tan ^ 6 x dx = \int ( \tan ^ 6 x + \tan ^ 4 x - \tan ^ 4 x - \tan ^ 2 x + \tan ^ 2 x + 1 - 1) dx[/tex]
[tex]= \int \tan ^ 4 x (\tan ^ 2 x + 1) dx - \int \tan ^ 2 x (\tan ^ 2 x + 1) dx + \int \sec ^ 2 x dx - \int dx[/tex]
[tex]= \int \tan ^ 4 x \sec ^ 2 x dx - \int \tan ^ 2 x \sec ^ 2 x dx + \int \sec ^ 2 x dx - \int dx[/tex]
[tex]= \int \tan ^ 4 x d(\tan x) - \int \tan ^ 2 x d(\tan x) + \int \sec ^ 2 x dx - \int dx[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{\tan ^ 5 x}{5} - \frac{\tan ^ 3 x}{3} + \tan x - x + C[/tex].
Ok, can you go from here? :)

For the problem I posted, don't I have to switch "cot" to "cos/sin" (ratio identity) and then use the half-angle/double identities?

p4nda said:
For the problem I posted, don't I have to switch "cot" to "cos/sin" (ratio identity) and then use the half-angle/double identities?
If you change to sin, and cos, and work from there, I think you will be messed up. You'll get some expression quite 'ugly'. You can try to see if it works. :)
Anyway, have you tried the way I suggested? Did you get the answer?
In the example, I used the identity: sec2x = tan2x + 1.
To tackle the problem you asked, you should note that: csc2x = cot2x + 1.

I really appreciate your help, but I'm still kind of lost. I understand how to do the ones with a "6" exponential, but usually the ones with a "4" exponential confuses me. The integrals with a trig. function alone with an "even" exponential (e.g. Tan^[x]) is what gets me. However, I understand the integrals with two trig. functions (e.g. Tan^3[x]Sec^4[x]). For the integral with a single trig. function and a "4" exponential, are you supposed to split it into two (ex. Cot^2[x]Cot^2[x])?

I tried doing my posted problem and I got:
1/3csc^3[x] - cscx + C

Last edited:
p4nda said:
I really appreciate your help, but I'm still kind of lost. I understand how to do the ones with a "6" exponential, but usually the ones with a "4" exponential confuses me. The integrals with a trig. function alone with an "even" exponential (e.g. Tan^[x]) is what gets me. However, I understand the integrals with two trig. functions (e.g. Tan^3[x]Sec^4[x]). For the integral with a single trig. function and a "4" exponential, are you supposed to split it into two (ex. Cot^2[x]Cot^2[x])?
You can add, and then subtract cot2x, and 1 respectively. Like this:
[tex]\cot ^ 4 x = \cot ^ 4 x + \cot ^ 2 x - \cot ^ 2 x - 1 + 1[/tex]
Then we'll try to factor the expression, and we have:
[tex]\cot ^ 4 x = \cot ^ 4 x + \cot ^ 2 x - \cot ^ 2 x - 1 + 1 = \cot ^ 2 x (\cot ^ 2 x + 1) - (\cot ^ 2 x + 1) + 1 = \cot ^ 2 x \csc ^ 2 x - \csc x + \fbox{1}[/tex].
The main aim is to factor it so that csc2x appear, and we can then use the substitution:
[tex]u = \cot x \Rightarrow du = - \csc ^ 2 x[/tex]
It's the same as my example above. :)
I tried doing my posted problem and I got:
1/3csc^3[x] - cscx + C
Be careful with the signs. And you are forgetting an x there. After factoring, you'll be left with a 1 (see the boxed part above). The answer should be:
something + x + C
Can you go from here? :)

1. What is trigonometric integration and why is it important?

Trigonometric integration is the process of finding the antiderivative of a function that contains trigonometric functions. It is important because many real-world problems involve trigonometric functions, and being able to integrate them is essential in solving these problems.

2. How do I approach trigonometric integration problems?

The key to solving trigonometric integration problems is to first identify the type of trigonometric function present and then use appropriate trigonometric identities or substitution techniques to simplify the problem. It is also important to be familiar with the basic trigonometric derivatives and integrals.

3. Can you provide an example of solving a trigonometric integration problem step-by-step?

Sure, let's say we are trying to integrate the function f(x) = sin(x). Using the identity sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1, we can rewrite the integral as ∫sin(x)cos(x) dx. Then, using the substitution u = sin(x), we can rewrite the integral as ∫u du. Integrating, we get ∫u du = u^2/2 + C = (sin(x))^2/2 + C.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometric integration problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to use trigonometric identities to simplify the problem. Another mistake is not paying attention to the limits of integration and forgetting to include them in the final answer. It is also important to double check the algebraic steps to avoid any calculation errors.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for mastering trigonometric integration?

Practice is key when it comes to mastering trigonometric integration. It is also helpful to review and memorize the basic trigonometric derivatives and integrals. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with common trigonometric identities and substitution techniques can make solving integration problems easier.