1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig Integration

1. Mar 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\int_\frac{dx}{(4+x^2)^2}dx[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

SO....I started by making [tex]x = 2*tan x[/tex] and [tex]dx = 2*sec(x)^2[/tex]. The x is supposed to be the 0 sign with the line through it, but I don't know how to make that.

I then made the equation [tex]\int \frac{2*sec(x)^2}{(4+2*tan(x)^2}*2*sec(x)^2[/tex]. I multiplied the two secants to get [tex]4*sec(x)^4[/tex] on the top, and then I turned the [tex]2*tan(x)^2[/tex] on the bottom into [tex]2*sec(x)^2-2[/tex]. The equation now looks like [tex]\int \frac{4*sec(x)^4}{(4+2*sec(x)^2-2}[/tex]. How does this simplify? I want to get rid of the [/tex]2*sec(x)^2[/tex] by dividing it with the top thing, but I don't think I can do that becaause of the -2 attached to it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2007 #2
    you should fix your latex formatting.

your integral becomes cos²(x).

Show your work again, and let us know if you get stuck.

4. Mar 27, 2007 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \int \left(\frac{1}{-2x}\right)\left(\frac{-2x}{(4+x^2)^2}{}dx\right)=-\frac{1}{2x}\cdot\frac{1}{4+x^2}+\frac{1}{2}\int \frac{dx}{x^2 (4+x^2)} [/tex]

[tex] =-\frac{1}{2x}\cdot\frac{1}{4+x^2}+\frac{1}{8}\int \left(\frac{1}{x^2}-\frac{1}{4+x^2}\right){}dx [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?