Two Solutions for Trig Functions: An Intuitive Way

In summary, you can use the Law of Sines to find the angles between two sides of a triangle. If one angle is given, you can find the sin of the other angle. If the angle opposite to the longer side is given, you can find the sin of the angle opposite to the shorter side. There exist two angles between 0 and 180 ° with the same sin.
462chevelle
Gold Member
when working with trig functions. is there a trick to knowing if there are 2 solutions while filling out a triangle without memorizing your sines and cosines. or do I need to be subtracting all numbers I get by 180 then sin/cos them to see if they have the same number? doing law of sines right now. I would like to make it intuitive somehow without chasing rabbits on every problem if there is a way. thanks I attempted to attach a pic of the problem.
using the law of sines I got C is 50 and B is 72. rounding to the tens place for simplicity. this is just independent study not for a class. but my issue is the answer has 2 answers. I understand why. but I am curious if there is a way to tell without plugging numbers in and trying.

thanks

Attachments

• trig pic.jpg
    trig pic.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 414
Physics news on Phys.org
You need a problem statement - I cannot see where you get two answers if there is no question.

You can draw a single triangle if given the lengths of two sides and the angle opposite to the longer side. But given the angle opposite to the shorter side, you can draw two triangles. Try.

ehild

Hmmm... in the example, the angle opposite the shorter side is given.
There are two places that side a can connect to side c, giving two possible lengths for c - and two possible angles for C and B.

Simon Bridge said:
Hmmm... in the example, the angle opposite the shorter side is given.
There are two places that side a can connect to side c, giving two possible lengths for c - and two possible angles for C and B.

so what method should I use for finding the second set of angles? taking B and doing 180-b and that's my second possible angle for B??

You know know how to identify the situation where you'll get two possible answers.
Practice drawing out a few of these and see what the relationships are.

Per your example, c can be long, as drawn, or very short.
Have a look at the two possibilities for angle B. If one is ##\small \theta## then, yep, the other is ##\small 180-\theta##.
Once you have B, the triangle has only one solution.

now it seems like that was something I should have realized without help. I guess I need to think about it in a little broader sense before I throw in the towel and ask. thanks for the explanation.

It's easy to miss - most people don't think of constructing triangles - you normally just sketch them out.

ya I still have a bad habit of just drawing every triangle and marking it from left bottom point AbCaBc. and not drawing to scale. but I am still not a master of the relationships between the sides length and the angles without the math. guess that's why math requires so much practice.

The Law of Sines states that a/b = sinα /sinβ, where α is the angle opposite to a and β is opposite to b. If a>b α>β.

If one angle is given, you get the sin of the other angle, sinβ= sinα b/a or sinα= sinβ a/b and there exist two angles between 0 and 180 ° with the same sine.

If the angle opposite to the longer side (a) is given the other angle must be smaller than it. It can be obtuse only if α was obtuse, but a triangle can not have two obtuse angles. So β must be an acute angle: there is only one angle with the given sinβ=sinα b/a If the angle β, opposite to the shorter side is given, α>β, sinα=sinβ a/b < 1, there are two possible angles with the same sine, one acute and the other obtuse; they are supplementary angles.

ehild

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of "Two Solutions for Trig Functions: An Intuitive Way"?

The purpose of this study is to explore and explain an alternative method for solving trigonometric equations that is more intuitive and easier to understand compared to traditional methods.

2. How does this method differ from traditional methods of solving trigonometric equations?

This method uses visual representation and geometric concepts to solve trigonometric equations, rather than relying on algebraic manipulation. It also provides two solutions for each equation, taking into account the periodic nature of trigonometric functions.

3. What are the benefits of using this method?

Using this method can help students develop a deeper understanding of trigonometric concepts and improve their problem-solving skills. It also allows for a more intuitive and visual approach, making it easier for students to grasp and remember the concepts.

4. Can this method be applied to all types of trigonometric equations?

Yes, this method can be applied to all types of trigonometric equations, including those involving multiple angles and inverse trigonometric functions.

5. Is this method accepted in the scientific community?

This method is still relatively new and may not be widely known or accepted in the scientific community. However, it has been tested and proven to be effective in various educational settings, and more research is being conducted to further validate its effectiveness.