Trouble With Calculating the Limit of sin(x2+3x+2)/(x3+1) at x=-1

• Thread starter turdferguson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: But you should really try to look at it by the method I showed you. It's much more natural and less of a brute force method. :)In summary, the conversation discussed finding the limit as x approaches -1 of a given equation involving trigonometric and polynomial functions. Various methods were suggested, including using L'Hopital's rule and expanding the functions in power series. However, it was ultimately determined that the limit could be found by simplifying the equation and using the well-known limit of sinx/x as x approaches 0. The conversation also touched on the use of derivatives and the importance of understanding different types of operations when solving equations.
turdferguson

Homework Statement

Im not good with latex, but I am having trouble with the limit as x approaches -1 of
[sin(x2+3x+2)]/(x3+1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive tried substituting u = x2+3x+2 but I keep getting -1/4 instead of the correct limit 1/3

by long division, x3+1 = (x2+3x+2)(x-3) + 7x + 7

This yields the limit as u approaches 0 of
[sin(u)]/[u(x-3) + 7x + 7]

after simplifying sinu/u, I get the limit as u approaches 0 of

1/[x - 3 + (7x+7/u)] = u/[u(x-3) + 7x+7]

If I plug in x=-1, the limit is -1/4, not 1/3. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried L'Hospital's rule?

Try using L'Hopital's rule ("type 0/0)"

edit: Damn, beaten to it!

Im not up to it yet, is there any way without derivatives?

As a general rule, you can't really compare different operators together.

For example, each of the following types of operations: polynomial, trigonometric, logarithmic, exponential - if any two appear in the same equation, you can only solve it numerically.

Give me an exact solution for xtan(x)=2, or cos(x) - ln(x) = 0.
you can't.
You need L'Hopital's rule unless I'm missing something obvious.

You could try to expand both functions around x=-1 in power series but that needs derivatives as well. Why are you afraid of derivatives and l'Hopital? It's really trivial!

turdferguson said:

Homework Statement

Im not good with latex, but I am having trouble with the limit as x approaches -1 of
[sin(x2+3x+2)]/(x3+1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive tried substituting u = x2+3x+2 but I keep getting -1/4 instead of the correct limit 1/3

by long division, x3+1 = (x2+3x+2)(x-3) + 7x + 7

This yields the limit as u approaches 0 of
[sin(u)]/[u(x-3) + 7x + 7]

after simplifying sinu/u, I get the limit as u approaches 0 of

1/[x - 3 + (7x+7/u)] = u/[u(x-3) + 7x+7]

If I plug in x=-1, the limit is -1/4, not 1/3. What am I doing wrong?

You're on the right track, you don't have to use L'Hopital's.

Your error was in trying to work in two variables when you should work in one variable as far as possible. Since u depends on x, your final expression and limit are not correct.

lim as x-> (-1) of [sin(x2+3x+2)]/(x3+1) = lim as x-> (-1) of [(x2+3x+2)]/(x3+1) since lim(y->0) siny/y = 1

Now,

[tex]\frac{x^2+3x+2}{x^3+1} = \frac{1}{x-3 + \frac{7(x+1)}{x^2 + 3x+2}}[/tex]

From here on, just continue the long division (sort of like continued fractions).

[tex]\frac{1}{x-3 + \frac{7(x+1)}{x^2 + 3x+2}} = \frac{1}{x-3 + \frac{7}{x+2}}[/tex]

And the limit of that expression as x -> -1 is clearly 1/(-4+7) = 1/3, as required.

Curious3141 said:
You're on the right track, you don't have to use L'Hopital's.

Your error was in trying to work in two variables when you should work in one variable as far as possible. Since u depends on x, your final expression and limit are not correct.

lim as x-> (-1) of [sin(x2+3x+2)]/(x3+1) = lim as x-> (-1) of [(x2+3x+2)]/(x3+1) since lim(y->0) siny/y = 1

Now,

[tex]\frac{x^2+3x+2}{x^3+1} = \frac{1}{x-3 + \frac{7(x+1)}{x^2 + 3x+2}}[/tex]

From here on, just continue the long division (sort of like continued fractions).

[tex]\frac{1}{x-3 + \frac{7(x+1)}{x^2 + 3x+2}} = \frac{1}{x-3 + \frac{7}{x+2}}[/tex]

And the limit of that expression as x -> -1 is clearly 1/(-4+7) = 1/3, as required.
Err... you seemed to have overcomplicated the problem itself.
It goes like this:
First, you have to change it to some form of:
[tex]\lim_{\alpha \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin \alpha}{\alpha} = 1[/tex]
And you know that as x tends to -1, the parameter of the sine function (i.e x2 = 3x + 2) also tends to 0, so you will try to make the denominator looks similar to that parameter, so that you can apply the well-known limit above..
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow -1} \frac{\sin (x ^ 2 + 3x + 2)}{x ^ 3 + 1} = \lim_{x \rightarrow -1} \frac{\sin \left[ (x + 1) (x + 2) \right]}{(x + 1) (x ^ 2 - x + 1)} = \lim_{x \rightarrow -1} \frac{\sin \left[ (x + 1) (x + 2) \right] (x + 2)}{(x + 1) (x + 2) (x ^ 2 - x + 1)}[/tex]
[tex]= \lim_{x \rightarrow -1} \frac{\sin \left[ (x + 1) (x + 2) \right]}{(x + 1) (x + 2)} \times \lim_{x \rightarrow -1} \frac{x + 2}{x ^ 2 - x + 1} = ...[/tex]
It should be pretty easy from here. Can you go from here? :)

VietDao29 said:
Err... you seemed to have overcomplicated the problem itself.
It goes like this:
First, you have to change it to some form of:
[tex]\lim_{\alpha \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin \alpha}{\alpha} = 1[/tex]
And you know that as x tends to -1, the parameter of the sine function (i.e x2 = 3x + 2) also tends to 0, so you will try to make the denominator looks similar to that parameter, so that you can apply the well-known limit above..
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow -1} \frac{\sin (x ^ 2 + 3x + 2)}{x ^ 3 + 1} = \lim_{x \rightarrow -1} \frac{\sin \left[ (x + 1) (x + 2) \right]}{(x + 1) (x ^ 2 - x + 1)} = \lim_{x \rightarrow -1} \frac{\sin \left[ (x + 1) (x + 2) \right] (x + 2)}{(x + 1) (x + 2) (x ^ 2 - x + 1)}[/tex]
[tex]= \lim_{x \rarrow -1} \frac{\sin \left[ (x + 1) (x + 2) \right]}{(x + 1) (x + 2)} \times \lim_{x \rarrow -1} \frac{x + 2}{x ^ 2 - x + 1} = ...[/tex]
It should be pretty easy from here. Can you go from here? :)

It's really the same thing, just a different way. I was simply using the fact that [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow -1} \sin{(x^2+3x+2)} = \lim_{x \rightarrow -1}(x^2+3x+2)[/tex] right at the start. Nothing "overcomplicated" in that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanations. I am not afraid of LHospitals rule, but we just finished trig limits and are just starting derivatives. Needless to say, we haven't gone over it formally in class. The problem was given in a section of the book before LHospitals rule, so I wanted to know how it could be solved without resorting to that

Sure. Good reason.

What is the limit of the function sin(x2+3x+2)/(x3+1) as x approaches -1?

The limit of the function is indeterminate as x approaches -1, meaning it cannot be solved through direct substitution. Further steps must be taken to calculate the limit.

How do I calculate the limit of a function at a specific value?

To calculate the limit of a function at a specific value, you must evaluate the function as x approaches that value. This can be done through direct substitution or by using algebraic techniques such as factoring, rationalizing, or trigonometric identities.

What steps should I take to calculate the limit of this specific function at x=-1?

To calculate the limit of this function at x=-1, you can use the following steps:
1. Plug in the value of -1 for x in the function.
2. Simplify the resulting expression as much as possible.
3. Factor the numerator and denominator.
4. Cancel out any common factors.
5. Substitute the value of -1 for x in the simplified expression.
6. Simplify the resulting expression to find the limit.

Why is the limit of this function indeterminate at x=-1?

The limit of the function is indeterminate at x=-1 because the expression in the denominator, x3+1, becomes 0 when x is equal to -1. This results in a division by 0, which is undefined and cannot be evaluated.

Are there any special rules for calculating limits involving trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are several special rules for calculating limits involving trigonometric functions. These include using trigonometric identities, using the squeeze theorem, and using the fact that the limit of sin(x)/x as x approaches 0 is equal to 1. These rules can be helpful when calculating limits involving trigonometric functions such as sin(x2+3x+2)/(x3+1) at x=-1.