1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig limit

1. Sep 11, 2009 #1
    I know this probably pre-calc, but this was assinged to us in our calc class.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the lim as h approaches zero of [tex] x * cos x [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex] \frac{(x+h)cos(x+h)-(x cos x)}{h} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{x+h(cos (x) cos (h) + sin (x) sin (h)) -x *-cos (x))}{h} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{h(cos (x) cos (h) + sin (x) sin (h)) -cos (x)}{h} [/tex]

Don't know what to do next.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2009 #2
    Assuming you were seeking the derivative, your parentheses are off and there is no distribution in the second term of the numerator (it's a product not a sum). Your second line should read:

[tex]= \frac{(x+h)(cos (x) cos (h) + sin (x) sin (h)) -(x \cdot cos (x))}{h} [/tex]

HOWEVER you state you are being asked to find the limit of xcos(x) as h approaches zero. I'm not sure you have gotten the question correct. xcos(x) does not contain an "h" and finding a limit is not equivalent to finding a derivative. Please state the question exactly as it appears so we can help you better.

--Eucidus

4. Sep 11, 2009 #3
    Oh, sorry, we were supposed to use the definition of a derivative.

[tex] \frac {f(x+h)-f(x)}{h} [/tex]

Where [tex] f(x) = x * cos(x) [/tex]

5. Sep 11, 2009 #4

VietDao29

Homework Helper

When taking limits, or solving maths problems in general. One should first determine what / which terms are problematic, then, isolate them, and finally, think of a way to get rid of them; instead of just expanding everything out without any goals, or reasons, and get a huge messy bunch.

This step is bad, don't expand it early like that.

So, our limit is:

[tex]\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{(x + h) \cos (x + h) - x\cos x}{h}[/tex]
    [tex]= \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{x \cos (x + h) + h\cos(x + h) - x\cos x}{h}[/tex]

Now, look at the expression closely, which terms will produce the Indeterminate Form 0/0?

[tex]= \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{\color{red}{x \cos (x + h)} \color{blue}{+ h\cos(x + h)} \color{red}{- x\cos x}}{h}[/tex]

The red ones, when simplifying will produce 0/0, right? And, when simplifying the blue term, by canceling 'h' will produce a normal term right? So, you limit now becomes:

[tex]= \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{\color{red}{x \cos (x + h)} - \color{red}{x\cos x} \color{blue}{+ h\cos(x + h)}}{h}[/tex]

[tex]=\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{\color{red}{x \cos (x + h)} - \color{red}{x\cos x}}{h} + \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{\color{blue}{h\cos(x + h)}}{h}[/tex]

(isolating the problematic terms)

[tex]=\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{\color{red}{x \cos (x + h)} - \color{red}{x\cos x}}{h} + \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \color{blue}{\cos(x + h)}}[/tex]

[tex]=\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{\color{red}{x ( \cos (x + h)} - \color{red}{\cos x} )}{h} + \color{blue}{\cos(x)}[/tex]

Let's see if you can continue from here. :)

-------------

And please review your algebraic manipulations, you make quit a lot mistakes in your first post: missing parentheses, and you even change the * operator to +.. @.@

[tex]xy \neq x + y[/tex]. The 2 operators are totally different!!!!

And [tex]-(xy) \neq (-x) * (-y) \neq (-x) + (-y)[/tex]

I think you should really, really need go over algebraic manipulations again..

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  6. Sep 11, 2009 #5
    Would you expand it there? I haven't worked with trig functions that closely so I'd assume that knowing the indeterminate form will come from practice. Edit: from looking at it.

Haha yeah, I've slept ~3 hours in the past 1.5 days because I worked 3rd shift last night

7. Sep 11, 2009 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't think it has been pointed out that you are using a trig identity incorrectly. cos(a + h) = cos a cos h - sin a sin h.

8. Sep 11, 2009 #7
    Is that why the identity said [tex]\mp[/tex] and not [tex]\pm[/tex] ? I was never really taught trig identities and functions in high school, so I pick up as I go through college.

9. Sep 11, 2009 #8

Cyosis

Homework Helper

I suggest taking the x in front of the limit and then taking a good look at the red part. It is the definition of...?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook