1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig Limits

1. Nov 5, 2013 #1

Qube

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://i.minus.com/iCJwlfzPc5fRu.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

This feels like a movie requiring the suspension of disbelief.

3. The attempt at a solution

cot(x) = cos(x)/sin(x).

cot(0) = 1/0

Right? How in the world then is 0cot(0) - 1 = 0? That should be infinity minus 1.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't necessarily just substitute 0 in. You have to think about limits. Write the first term in the numerator as 10x*cot(10*x)=10x*cos(10x)/sin(10x). 10x/sin(10x) has a simple limit. What is it?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Nov 5, 2013 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What does L'Hopital's rule say? Did you apply it?

5. Nov 5, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think we need to show that it is a 0/0 form before applying l'Hopital. It's not quite obvious.

6. Nov 5, 2013 #5

Qube

Gold Member

I get 10x/10x = 0/0.

7. Nov 5, 2013 #6

Qube

Gold Member

It's 1, because of L'Hopital's rule.

Is the limit of a product the product of the limits of the terms?

8. Nov 5, 2013 #7

Qube

Gold Member

Alright, I think I got it! And yes it appears that:

"The limit of a product is the product of the limits."

Once again, hats off to the amazingly talented people here at PF. I forgot about the indeterminate forms, and how it is erroneous to conclude anything about a limit when you have an indeterminate form such as 0(infinity) in the case of 10x * cot(10x) with x tending toward 0. I remember my calculus teacher drilling that into us 2 years ago, asking each of us individually whether a limit existed if we plugged numbers and got 0/0. Needless to say, some people insisted it did not exist, when in fact the answer is correctly "I don't know" (it's not possible to conclude anything from 0/0 or any of the other indeterminate forms)!

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1461024_10201007108881643_1917921054_n.jpg?oh=2fac78e5000f1af4ae35dd0de2890a00&oe=527BFFF8

9. Nov 5, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, no, no. The LIMIT of (10x)/sin(10x) is 1. That doesn't mean (10x)/sin(10x)=1. That's wrong. The purpose of the initial limit was just to show you had a 0/0 form so you are allowed to use l'Hopital. Now you have to actually apply l'Hopital to the original function. And I'd suggest you rearrange it a bit before you do that. Otherwise it will get nasty.

10. Nov 5, 2013 #9

Qube

Gold Member

What about the idea of the product of limits?

Also I think I did what you said.

11. Nov 5, 2013 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The product of limits is fine to show it's 0/0 to begin with. Here's a sample of what CAN go wrong. Think about ((1+x)*(1+2x)-1)/x as x->0. The limit of (1+x) and (1+2x) are 1. So the limit of the ratio is (1-1)/0 which is 0/0. But you can't substitute 1 for (1+x) and conclude the original limit is the same as ((1+2x)-1)/x=2. That's wrong. The original limit was 3.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted