Understanding Trig Notation: What Does Sin(90°-θ) Mean?

In summary, Sin(90°-θ) is equal to cos θ, as shown by the relationship between opposite and adjacent sides in a right-angled triangle. This can be used to find the value of Sin(90°-θ) by using the same procedure as finding Sin θ.
Feodalherren
I'm solving some trig functions and ran into a notation that says

Sin(90°-θ)

What does it mean?

I know what Sin θ is and I know that Sin 90° = 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just in case it's important, Sin θ=

(2x)(9+4x^2)^(1/2) / (9+4x^2)

Do you know how sin(90°-θ) is related to cos(θ)?

What is the full problem?

ehild

Feodalherren said:
I'm solving some trig functions and ran into a notation that says

Sin(90°-θ)

What does it mean?

I know what Sin θ is and I know that Sin 90° = 1.

θ is some angle (we'll only deal with acute angles here) and then sin θ is the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right-angled triangle with one of its angles as θ. But if you look at that same triangle, you can deduce that the last angle must be
180° - 90° - θ = 90° - θ
because a triangle's angles add up to 180o.
And now, what is the cosine of that angle? That is, what is cos (90° - θ)? Well, since cos of an angle is the ratio between the adjacent side and the hypotenuse, these are exactly the same sides in the ratio of sin θ, so that means that sin θ = cos (90° - θ)
Can you use a similar procedure to find out what Sin(90°-θ) is?

1. What is trigonometry notation?

Trigonometry notation is a set of symbols and abbreviations used to represent the different functions and concepts in trigonometry, such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. Why do we use trigonometry notation?

Trigonometry notation allows us to easily and concisely represent complex mathematical concepts and equations, making them easier to work with and understand.

3. What are the most commonly used trigonometry notations?

The most commonly used trigonometry notations include the Greek letter theta (θ) to represent angles, and the abbreviations sin, cos, and tan for the trigonometric functions sine, cosine, and tangent.

4. How do I read trigonometry notation?

To read trigonometry notation, you read the symbol first, followed by the number or variable inside the parentheses. For example, sin(θ) would be read as "sine theta".

5. Can I use different notations for trigonometry?

While the most commonly used notations are the standard ones, there are some variations that may be used in different contexts or by different individuals or cultures. However, it is important to be consistent and clear when using any notation in order to avoid confusion.