Solve for Θ: Find Value of Θ When pi ≤ Θ ≤ 2pi, cos Θ = cos 1

• Thread starter DrummingAtom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi Trig
In summary, the value of Θ that satisfies the given conditions is 302.7 degrees or 5.28 radians. This can be determined by finding values of Θ that result in the same cosine value as cos 1, which is 0.54, within the given range of pi ≤ Θ ≤ 2pi.
DrummingAtom

Homework Statement

If pi ≤ Θ ≤ 2pi and cos Θ = cos 1, what is the value of Θ? Round to nearest hundredth.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

cos 1 = ~.54 then I didn't really understand how to interpret the "If pi ≤ Θ ≤ 2pi" Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well since [itex]cos(\theta)=cos(1)[/itex] then this would instinctively mean [itex]\theta=1[/itex] but the restriction is [itex]\pi \leq \theta \leq 2\pi[/itex] or [itex]3.14 \leq \theta \leq 6.28[/itex] (approx). Obviously [itex]1<\pi[/itex] so we can't use the instinctive solution.

What other values of [itex]\theta[/itex] make the same value cos(1)? There are infinite values of [itex]\theta[/itex] that do this. Take a look at the cosine graph and find where [itex]\theta=1[/itex] (or x=1). Now the y-value at that point is cos(1). Where else does the same y value occur between [itex]\pi < \theta< 2\pi[/itex]?

Apologies for the rather crude diagram (follow the link below) but hopefully this will help along with the advice in the previous post.

http://yfrog.com/6fpf1kj

:smile:

180 deg <= Θ <= 360 deg

cos Θ = cos 1

cos 359 = cos 1

Particularly,
Θ= 2*pi*n - 1
Θ=2*180*n - 1 = 360*n - 1
Θ= 359, 719, 1079, 1439, etc degrees
180 < 359 < 360 for this case

Last edited:
Think about this.. the cos graph in the region [itex]0 \leq \pi \leq 2\pi[/itex] is symmetrical about [itex]\pi[/itex].

At [itex]x=1[/itex] you have [itex]y=cos(1)[/itex], and you need to find the other point, i.e. at a different x value, where you get the same y value.

Perhaps if you knew the difference from the lower limit to the first x value, you could say this was the same as from the upper limit to the value you require? :wink: if that makes sense, look at the graph again. :smile:

Also, you should be able to see that [itex]cos(1)\neq cos(359)[/itex]

heh. Ok enlighten us, for which value of 180<x<360 is cos(x)=cos(1) ?

And don't tell me its cos 5.283185 = cos 1. Nobody said we doing this in radians

Last edited:
.. hah yeah, what's happened there, is that I've done some bad maths! :blushing: How strange! :redface:

Hopefully my method made some sense though. I've been working in radians not degrees as that's what was stated in the question. So what I did was:

[tex]cos(1)=0.54=cos(2\pi -1)=cos(5.28)[/tex]

So [itex]\theta=5.28 radians=302.7 degrees[/itex]

.. Perhaps I need a refresher in Trig! :wink: ..never mind..

What is the value of Θ when pi ≤ Θ ≤ 2pi and cos Θ = cos 1?

The value of Θ can be any angle between pi and 2pi where the cosine function is equal to the cosine of 1. This includes 1, pi, and 2pi as potential values for Θ.

How do you solve for Θ in this equation?

To solve for Θ, you can use the inverse cosine function (arccos) to find the angle whose cosine is equal to cos 1. This will give you the value of Θ in radians.

Can there be multiple solutions for Θ in this equation?

Yes, since the cosine function is periodic, there can be multiple values of Θ that satisfy the equation cos Θ = cos 1. These values will be spaced apart by intervals of 2pi.

Can the value of Θ be negative in this equation?

No, because the given range of Θ is from pi to 2pi, which only includes positive angles. However, if the range was extended to include negative angles, there could be negative solutions for Θ.

What is the significance of finding the value of Θ in this equation?

The value of Θ in this equation represents the angle at which the cosine function has the same value as the cosine of 1. It can be used to solve various problems involving angles and trigonometric functions.