Trig Problem: Simplifying cot(θ)sin(-θ) - Homework Help

• Thread starter TheKracken
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the question was asking for the sin() function to be expressed in terms of positive θ. For odd functions, f(-x) = -f(x). For even functions, f(-x) = f(x). Sin() is an odd function, though I do not understand why.
TheKracken

Homework Statement

Simplify cot(θ)sin(-θ) so that it is a single trig function of positive θ

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I changed cot(θ) to
cos(θ)/sin(θ) X Sin(-θ)/1

I stated that sin(-θ) and sin(θ) were the same and then cancled out the sin(θ) and sin (-θ) to get cos(θ)/1 or Cos(θ)

I feel like this is right but I only got half the points I was supposed to get, not quite sure what I did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheKracken said:

Homework Statement

Simplify cot(θ)sin(-θ) so that it is a single trig function of positive θ

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I changed cot(θ) to
cos(θ)/sin(θ) X Sin(-θ)/1

I stated that sin(-θ) and sin(θ) were the same and then cancled out the sin(θ) and sin (-θ) to get cos(θ)/1 or Cos(θ)

I feel like this is right but I only got half the points I was supposed to get, not quite sure what I did wrong.

sin(-θ) and sin(θ) are not quite the same. What is different about them?

The degree angle is negative in one of them, which would give you a value between 0 and negative one? I just can't seem to grasp how to simplify this.

TheKracken said:
The degree angle is negative in one of them, which would give you a value between 0 and negative one? I just can't seem to grasp how to simplify this.

Is the sin() function even or odd? Look at a plot of sin(x) over -360 degrees to +360 degrees. What does it do around x=0?

berkeman said:
sin(-θ) and sin(θ) are not quite the same. What is different about them?
Wait this would then give me
cosθ/sinθ X -sinθ/1
yeah?
Or...maybe I am on the wrong track...

TheKracken said:
Wait this would then give me
cosθ/sinθ X -sinθ/1
yeah?

:smile: So do you see why you only got partial points?

Sin is a odd function, though I do not understand why. Or what that quite means, I just found it in my notes. except maybe it is opposite of it such as it is the same value except with a negative sign on it.

berkeman said:
:smile: So do you see why you only got partial points?

Ok well if this is right then the sinθ would cancel out and wouldn't the negative still be there? As in it would then simplify to -cosθ which is not what it asked for. It asked that "so that it is a single trig function of positive θ "

TheKracken said:
Ok well if this is right then the sinθ would cancel out and wouldn't the negative still be there? As in it would then simplify to -cosθ which is not what it asked for. It asked that "so that it is a single trig function of positive θ "

For odd functions, f(-x) = -f(x). For even functions, f(-x) = f(x). Can you see how sin() is an odd function, and cos() is an even function?

The question is asking for the answer to be expressed in terms of positive θ. -cos(θ) is a function of positive θ.

Likes 1 person
OH! Thank you so very much, yes that makes lots of sense to me. Alright, thank you.

1. What is a "Trig Problem"?

A "Trig Problem" refers to a mathematical problem that involves the use of trigonometry, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and the relationships between their sides and angles.

2. What are some common types of "Trig Problems"?

Some common types of "Trig Problems" include finding missing sides or angles of a triangle, solving equations involving trigonometric functions, and using trigonometry to solve real-world problems involving angles and distances.

3. How do I solve a "Trig Problem"?

To solve a "Trig Problem", you will need to use the appropriate trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent, and apply them to the given information in the problem. It is important to understand the relationships between the sides and angles of a triangle and know how to use trigonometric identities and formulas.

4. What are some tips for solving "Trig Problems"?

Some tips for solving "Trig Problems" include drawing out diagrams to visualize the problem, labeling the given information on the diagram, using the right trigonometric function based on the given information, and double-checking your calculations to avoid errors.

5. Where can I find more practice problems to improve my skills in solving "Trig Problems"?

There are many resources available online, such as math websites and textbooks, that offer a variety of "Trig Problems" for practice. Additionally, many math tutors and teachers offer practice problems and worksheets to their students to help them improve their skills in solving "Trig Problems".