How Do You Solve Cotangent for 4.0527 Radians?

• Thread starter DethRose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses a trigonometry problem that involves finding the value of cotangent 4.0527 radians. The solution requires the use of a calculator and understanding how to convert between degrees and radians. The conversation also mentions the definition of cotangent and suggests finding the tangent and inverting it to find the solution. It is important to have a calculator in radian mode to get the correct answer.
DethRose
trig problem please help test today!

I don't understand what is being asked in these type of questions:

determine the value of cot 4.0527 radians

cot 4.0527=

Physics news on Phys.org
The're asking you to use a scientific calculator.The one which computes the values of (circular) trigonometric functions.
1.If your computer does not have the function "cotan",then split cotan in sine and cosine according to their definition.
2.If you computer has the function "tan",then use the relation between "tan" & "cotan" to find the result.

Such calculations wannot in general be done "by hand".

Daniel.

i don't get what your saying

I said that u needed a calculator which is able to perform calculations with trigonometrical functions.

Daniel.

DethRose said:
I don't understand what is being asked in these type of questions:

determine the value of cot 4.0527 radians

cot 4.0527=

I don't quite understand the question

it can be found by using calculator, right?

or you're asking how to find the value without using a calculator or computer?

how do you convert radians to degrees?

Maybe that no.is a nice (like 4\pi/3) multiple of "pi" and the result could be found directly,without a calculator.I didn't bother to check,if it's a test problem,then they're probably not allowed to use such calculators...

Weird,anyway.

Daniel.

DethRose said:
how do you convert radians to degrees?

IIRC
180°------------------------->[itex] \pi [/itex] radians
x° ---------------------------> 4.0527 radians

Daniel.

i can use a calculator..i just don't understand what the questions asking to be able to use the calculator

Probably.Calculators were invented to spare humans of destructing a large amount of neurons for nonsatisfactory results.So yes,that can be the purpose of an exercise:learning how to handle calculators.

Daniel.

so can you help me out lol

I already did tell you what to do... :tongue2: Check post #2

Daniel.

The problem is asking you to find the cotangent of 4.0527 radians. I can't put it any clearer than that.

I would NOT recommend changing that to degrees. Just be sure your calculator is in "radian" mode. Any calculator that has trig functions has a way to change from degrees to radians and back again. I can't tell you how to do that because I don't know what calculator you have. Either read the manual that came with the calculator (another skill it is good to learn: how to read manuals) or take your calculator to your teacher and ask for help.

I'm editing to add: most calculators do not have a "cotangent" key. cot(x) is defined as 1/tan(x). Find the tangent of 4.0527 radians and then invert it.

ok thanks...my problem was that i wasnt in radian mode lol

cot(x)= 1/tan(x)

What is the purpose of the "Trig problem test"?

The purpose of the "Trig problem test" is to assess a person's understanding and application of trigonometric concepts and problem-solving skills.

What topics are typically covered in a "Trig problem test"?

Topics that are typically covered in a "Trig problem test" include trigonometric functions, identities, equations, and applications of trigonometry in geometry and physics.

How can I prepare for a "Trig problem test"?

To prepare for a "Trig problem test", it is important to review and practice the key concepts and formulas covered in class, as well as solve practice problems and past exam questions.

What should I do if I am struggling with a "Trig problem test"?

If you are struggling with a "Trig problem test", it is important to seek help from your teacher or a tutor. You can also review your notes and textbook, and practice more problems to improve your understanding.

How much time should I allocate for a "Trig problem test"?

The amount of time you should allocate for a "Trig problem test" depends on your level of understanding and preparation. It is recommended to allocate enough time to carefully read and understand each question, and leave some time for checking your work.