1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig Problem- solve equation

1. Jan 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve the equation 2 - cos2x =sinx. Give the solution in the interval 0≤x≤360.

2. Relevant equations
    sin2x+cos2x=1
    I know for sin you take inverse. Then subtract that from 180. I believe those are basic angle then you +/- 360. ?

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to manipulate it to work and solve but im not sure what else and then how to.
    2 - cos2x =sinx
    2(1-cos2x)=sinx
    2(sin2x)=sinx

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2012 #2
    Its too late at night for me to start working that out but have you tried the trig identity

tanx=sinx/cosx

4. Jan 2, 2012 #3
    Um, i think so. Wait yes i did.

5. Jan 2, 2012 #4
    I would suggest writing it in a form that's quadratic in sin(x). Use the squared identity but in the other way.

edit - also, this step:[itex]2(1-cos^{2}(x))=sin(x)[/itex] is NOT valid. Can you see why?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  6. Jan 2, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The following two equations are not equivalent.

 2 - cos2x = sinx    &     2(1-cos2x) = sinx

The first equation is equivalent to
    1 + (1 - cos2x) = sinx​

Now substitute sin2x for 1 - cos2x and then subtract sinx from both sides. You then have a quadratic equation in sinx .

7. Jan 2, 2012 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Of course, the quadratic may not have real roots (and doesn't in this case). This is a pickle if you want real solutions for x.

(To be less cryptic, I meant that there are no real solutions here).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook