Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Trig Problem- solve equation

1. Jan 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve the equation 2 - cos2x =sinx. Give the solution in the interval 0≤x≤360.

2. Relevant equations
    sin2x+cos2x=1
    I know for sin you take inverse. Then subtract that from 180. I believe those are basic angle then you +/- 360. ?

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to manipulate it to work and solve but im not sure what else and then how to.
    2 - cos2x =sinx
    2(1-cos2x)=sinx
    2(sin2x)=sinx

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2012 #2
    Its too late at night for me to start working that out but have you tried the trig identity

tanx=sinx/cosx

4. Jan 2, 2012 #3
    Um, i think so. Wait yes i did.

5. Jan 2, 2012 #4
    I would suggest writing it in a form that's quadratic in sin(x). Use the squared identity but in the other way.

edit - also, this step:[itex]2(1-cos^{2}(x))=sin(x)[/itex] is NOT valid. Can you see why?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  6. Jan 2, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The following two equations are not equivalent.

 2 - cos2x = sinx    &     2(1-cos2x) = sinx

The first equation is equivalent to
    1 + (1 - cos2x) = sinx​

Now substitute sin2x for 1 - cos2x and then subtract sinx from both sides. You then have a quadratic equation in sinx .

7. Jan 2, 2012 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Of course, the quadratic may not have real roots (and doesn't in this case). This is a pickle if you want real solutions for x.

(To be less cryptic, I meant that there are no real solutions here).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook