Verifying Solution to 2\sin\theta\cos\theta + 2 \sin\theta - \cos\theta -1 = 0

• Thread starter Apost8
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem, and two people offer solutions. The first solution is incorrect, so the second person provides a better solution. They explain how to solve the equation for \theta using the cosine and sine. If the cosine is equal to zero, then \theta must be equal to \pi.
Apost8
Can someone please check over this real quick. I think I’ve solved this problem correctly, but, I’m not sure.

Solve: [tex]2\sin\theta\cos\theta + 2 \sin\theta - \cos\theta -1 = 0 [/tex]

[tex]2 \sin\theta(\cos\theta + 1) -(\cos\theta + 1) = 0 [/tex]

[tex]2 \sin\theta(\cos\theta + 1) = (\cos\theta + 1)[/tex]

[tex]2 \sin\theta = 1[/tex]

[tex]\sin\theta = 1/2[/tex]

[tex]\theta = (\frac{\pi}{6} + k2\pi)\ \mbox {or}\ (\frac{5\pi}{6} + k2\pi) [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Apost8 said:
Can someone please check over this real quick. I think I’ve solved this problem correctly, but, I’m not sure.

Solve: [tex]2\sin\theta\cos\theta + 2 \sin\theta - \cos\theta -1 = 0 [/tex]

[tex]\sin\theta = 1/2[/tex]

[tex]\theta = (\frac{\pi}{6} + k2\pi)\ \mbox {or}\ (\frac{5\pi}{6} + k2\pi) [/tex]

Looks good to me. The hard way to check this is to plug your answer into your original equation and do the trig to see if it works. The easy way is to pick several values of k and plug it into your original equation using a calculator. :biggrin:

-Dan

OK, thanks for your help!

Apost8 said:
...[tex]2 \sin\theta(\cos\theta + 1) -(\cos\theta + 1) = 0 [/tex]

Hmm, this step looks wrong.
What if [tex]cos \theta + 1 = 0[/tex]? And you cannot divide both sides by 0!
The better way is to factor out [tex]cos \theta + 1[/tex], like this:
[tex]\Leftrightarrow (\cos \theta + 1)(2 \sin\theta - 1) = 0 [/tex]
Now if the product of them is 0, then either [tex]\cos \theta + 1 = 0[/tex] or [tex]2 \sin\theta - 1 = 0[/tex], right?
Can you go from here? :)
--------------
@ topsquark, it's not correct, bud. :smile:

VietDao29 said:
Hmm, this step looks wrong.
What if [tex]cos \theta + 1 = 0[/tex]? And you cannot divide both sides by 0!
The better way is to factor out [tex]cos \theta + 1[/tex], like this:
[tex]\Leftrightarrow (\cos \theta + 1)(2 \sin\theta - 1) = 0 [/tex]
Now if the product of them is 0, then either [tex]\cos \theta + 1 = 0[/tex] or [tex]2 \sin\theta - 1 = 0[/tex], right?
Can you go from here? :)
--------------
@ topsquark, it's not correct, bud. :smile:

Oh, I see your point. That slipped by me. Sorry. Good catch, VeitDao29!

-Dan

Last edited:
Thanks for the help VietDao. Can you please show me how you got [tex]\ (\cos \theta + 1)(2 \sin\theta - 1) = 0\ [/tex]? I can’t seem to figure out exactly how you did that.

Oh wait, nevermind, I see how you got that. Duh.

So, from there I would get:

[tex]\cos \theta + 1 = 0[/tex]

[tex]\cos \theta = -1[/tex]

[tex]\theta = \pi[/tex]

OR

[tex]2 \sin\theta - 1 = 0[/tex]

[tex]\sin\theta= \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\theta = \frac{\pi}{6} [/tex], [tex]\theta = \frac{5\pi}{6} [/tex]

Last edited:
Looks right to me, what's your limits?

By limits, do you mean, for example [tex] (0, 2\pi)[/tex]?

If that's the case, the question didn't impose any limits, so I suppose the correct answer would be [tex]\theta= (\pi+k2\pi,\ \frac{\pi}{6}+k2\pi\ or, \frac{5\pi}{6}+k2\pi)[/tex].

Yeah that's what I meant.

When ever I have solved trig equations I am required to find a quantative answer for [itex]\theta[/itex], but if your tutor is happy with you leaving it in terms of [itex]k[/itex] that's all that matter. :smile:

Thanks for your Help!

1. What is the equation "2\sin\theta\cos\theta + 2 \sin\theta - \cos\theta -1 = 0" and what does it represent?

The equation "2\sin\theta\cos\theta + 2 \sin\theta - \cos\theta -1 = 0" is a trigonometric equation that represents a relationship between the sine and cosine values of an angle, theta. It is a type of quadratic equation that can be used to solve for the value of theta.

2. How can I verify if a given value of theta is a solution to the equation "2\sin\theta\cos\theta + 2 \sin\theta - \cos\theta -1 = 0"?

To verify if a given value of theta is a solution to the equation, you can substitute the value into the equation and solve for both sides. If the resulting values on both sides are equal, then the given value of theta is a solution to the equation.

3. Are there any restrictions on the values of theta that can be used in the equation "2\sin\theta\cos\theta + 2 \sin\theta - \cos\theta -1 = 0"?

Yes, there are restrictions on the values of theta. Since the equation involves trigonometric functions, the values of theta must be within the range of the inverse sine and cosine functions, which is between -π/2 and π/2 radians. Additionally, the equation may also have restrictions based on the context in which it is used.

4. What methods can I use to solve the equation "2\sin\theta\cos\theta + 2 \sin\theta - \cos\theta -1 = 0"?

There are various methods that can be used to solve this equation, including factoring, using the quadratic formula, and using trigonometric identities. The best method to use will depend on the specific form of the equation and the given values of theta.

5. Can the equation "2\sin\theta\cos\theta + 2 \sin\theta - \cos\theta -1 = 0" have multiple solutions?

Yes, the equation can have multiple solutions. This is because trigonometric functions are periodic and have repeating values. Therefore, there may be more than one value of theta that satisfies the equation, depending on the context and restrictions.