1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig problem

1. Sep 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [PLAIN]http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/5062/dgsdgsdgs.jpg [Broken]
    what is h??

2. Relevant equations
    tan x = sin x/ cos x
    cos x = adj/hyp
    sin x = opp/hyp

3. The attempt at a solution
    uh im not even really sure where to start. i havent done trig in a really really long time. im guessing you have to use trig. and i set the area under the dotted triangle as x so the entire bottom length would be 100 + X but im not even sure how that helps.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Add one unknown - length of the leg adjacent to 60° angle. You have two unknowns - h and the leg. Can you express tangents of both angles using these unknowns (and known length 100)?

4. Sep 4, 2010 #3
    ^ no offense but the "clue" you gave was so small that i'm just back where I started...confused...didnt really push me in any particular direction. -_-
    tan 30 = h / (100 + x) = sqrt 3 over 3
    tan 60 = h / x = sqrt 3?
    i dont see how that helps.
    i tried solving for h using the one that equals tan 60..that turns out to be x times sqrt 3...i plugged that into the first equation...and that just seems way too complicated. I did this type of question two years ago in HS...i am so sure this question isnt supposed to be this complicated.

5. Sep 5, 2010 #4
    Is this the equation you got?

[tex]\frac{x\sqrt{3}}{100 + x} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{3}[/tex]

It requires a bit of algebra, but it's not bad.

6. Sep 5, 2010 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You got to two equations in two unknowns, and you are solving them using correct approach. Just don't give up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook