1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig problem

1. Apr 27, 2012 #1
    solve this equation
    csc(x)+cot(x)=1

after some symbol shunting this simplifies to sin-cos=1

I believe there is no solution to this problem. Let sin = a and cos = b

if a-b=1

then

a2+b2=1+2ab

but we know that a2+b2 must =1 therefor, no solution. Is this a valid proof?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not at all, a=1 and b=0 solves a-b=1.

4. Apr 28, 2012 #3
    Well then I am stumped. Are you saying there is a solution? It certainly doesn't look it when I graph it.

5. Apr 28, 2012 #4
    Of course there is a solution. What's the max value that sin(x) or cos(x) will output? Is there any angle x, such that sin(x) or cos(x) will output 1, and the equation sin(x) - cos(x) = 1 is still satisfied?

Clearly from that equation, you know that either:
    a.) cos(x) outputs a value >0, and then to satisfy, sin(x) must output a value >1.
    or......

6. Apr 28, 2012 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

You must be graphing it incorrectly then. Think about values of x where sin(x) is positive and cos(x) is negative. Can't it certainly be possible that sin(x)-cos(x)>1 in this case?

To begin solving this problem, try converting sin(x)-cos(x) into [itex]R\sin(x+\alpha)[/itex] for some constants R and [itex]\alpha[/itex] that you need to determine.

7. Apr 28, 2012 #6
    Well when you put it like that it's pretty damn obvious :shy:

Graphing [itex]\frac{1}{sin(x)}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{tan(x)}[/itex] yields holes at y=1 and y=-1. What other way is there to graph it?

8. Apr 28, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What does that graph have to do with anything? In particular, what does tan(x) have to do with anything? You are asking about the equation csc(x)+ cot(x)= 1. At [itex]x= k\pi/2[/itex], csc(x)= 1 and cot(x)= 0. THAT'S what you should be graphing.

9. Apr 28, 2012 #8
    He was graphing the original equation in order to see where it equals 1.

10. Apr 28, 2012 #9
    [itex]\frac{1}{tan}[/itex] is cotan, and until my TI-84 magically grows cot, sec and csc buttons that's how I'll have to graph it.

11. Apr 28, 2012 #10
    If you know half angle formulas, then your original equation reduces to:
    [tex]
    \csc x + \cot x = \frac{1 + \cos x}{\sin x} = \frac{2 \, \cos^2 \frac{x}{2}}{2 \sin \frac{x}{2} \cos \frac{x}{2}} = \cot \frac{x}{2}, \ \cos \frac{x}{2} \neq 0
    [/tex]
    You may check that when:
    [tex]
    \cos {\frac{x}{2} } = 0 \Leftrightarrow \frac{x}{2} = \frac{\pi}{2} + n \, \pi \Rightarrow x = (2 n + 1) \pi
    [/tex]
    then
    [tex]
    \sin x = \sin \left[ (2 n + 1) \pi \right]
    [/tex]
    so there is no loss of solutions by canceling with [itex]\cos ( x/2 )[/itex]. On, the other hand, if you multiply the equation by [itex] \sin x[/itex], and convert it as you did to:
    [tex]
    \sin {x} - \cos{x} = 1
    [/tex]
    you may see that [itex]x = (2 n + 1) \pi[/itex] are solutions of this equation, whereas they are not for the original equation.

12. Apr 28, 2012 #11
    I can tentatively follow your logic, but I'm still not clear on what the solution is. Is the answer x= [itex]\frac{∏}{2}[/itex] [0,2∏) or no solution? If my simplification generated an invalid answer then surely yours did as well because neither works in the original equation.

13. Apr 28, 2012 #12
    [tex]
    \cot \frac{x}{2} = 1
    [/tex]
    has the solution:
    [tex]
    \frac{x}{2} = \frac{\pi}{4} + n \pi \Rightarrow x = \frac{\pi}{2} (4 n + 1)
    [/tex]

The set of solutions:
    [tex]
    (2 n + 1) \pi = (4 n + 2) \frac{\pi}{2}
    [/tex]
    is not of the above form, so do not need to exclude any of them.

14. Apr 28, 2012 #13
    That doesn't answer my question.

15. Apr 28, 2012 #14
    What was your question?
    Also, I'm not sure about x=∏/2 [0,2∏) a couple posts ago.

Dickfore did get the correct general solution of [itex]x=\frac{\pi}{2}(4n+1)[/itex]

I also managed to rewrite the original equation as sinx - cosx = 1, but this has one set of solution, x = 2πn + π, which doesn't work for the original equation.

16. Apr 29, 2012 #15
    Again, my question is..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook