1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig Problems please help please

1. Sep 14, 2009 #1
    Trig Problems please help please!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A surveillance satellite circles Earht at a height of h miles above the surface. Suppose that d is the distance, in miles, on the sruface of Earth that can be observed fromt eh satellite. See the illustration.

(a) Find an equation that related the central angle theta to the height h

(b) Find an equation that relates the observable distance d and angle theta

(c) Find an equation that related d and h

(d) if d is to be 2500 miles, how high must the stellite orbit above Earth?

(e) If the stellite orbits at a height of 300 miles, what distance d on the surface can be observed?

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6397/84480179.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

Trig ratios

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea were to even start there's not enough information or maybe my geometry just sucks because it has been a while sense i took that class.... I don't even know were to start

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5899/adsfasdfasdfadsfsadf.jpg[/URL] [Broken] [/PLAIN] [Broken]
    Find the value of the angle theta in degrees rounded to the neartest tenth of a degree.
    2. Relevant equations

trig ratios

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea how to even start this problem

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2009 #2
    Re: Trig Problems please help please!!!

by the way the circles touch

4. Sep 14, 2009 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Re: Trig Problems please help please!!!

Well, you should be able to at least do some of the questions. For part a), draw a better diagram with a smaller distance d (more realistic for a satellite). The angle at the top of the h and the angle inside the Earth will be different, but they share the arc length d. You should be able to start writing some equations based on that.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook