Finding the Relationship Between -sin 40 & -cos 50

• Thread starter lLovePhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relationship
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of cofunctions and their identities in trigonometry. The question of how to solve a mathematical problem involving fractions is also brought up and various methods are suggested, including factoring out a -1 and keeping the value of the fraction the same. The conversation then shifts to discussing the definition and calculation of standard deviation, with various methods and sources being mentioned. Finally, a problem is presented and the correct method for calculating standard deviation is explained.
lLovePhysics
I know that sin 320 deg is equal to -sin 40 deg. However, how do you know that -sin 40 deg is equal to - cos 50 deg? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm... I think it is something about cofunctions. I'm going to read more into it first. =]

You know because of the cofunction identities:

[tex]\sin{\theta} = \cos{(90-\theta)}[/tex]

[tex]\cos{\theta} = \sin{(90-\theta)}[/tex]

[tex]\tan{\theta} = \cot{(90-\theta)}[/tex]

[tex]\cot{\theta} = \tan{(90-\theta)}[/tex]

[tex]\sec{\theta} = \csc{(90-\theta)}[/tex]

[tex]\csc{\theta} = \sec{(90-\theta)}[/tex]

lLovePhysics said:
I know that sin 320 deg is equal to -sin 40 deg. However, how do you know that -sin 40 deg is equal to - cos 50 deg? Thanks

Draw a right triangle and look at the relationships.

Ok thanks.

Also, how do you solve this problem?:

[tex]\frac{x^{2}-9x+14}{3x^{3}-6x^{4}} \times \frac{2x-1}{x^{2}-2x-35}[/tex]

I simplified it down to:

[tex] \frac{(x-7)(x-2)}{3x^{3}(-2x+1)} \times \frac{2x-1}{(x-7)(x+5)}[/tex]

Is there a way to cancel out (-2x+1) and 2x-1? Is it okay to multiply (-2x+1) by -1 or is it wrong because it changes the value? When I set them equal to one another they cancel out to equal 0. Why is this?

Thanks.

lLovePhysics said:
Ok thanks.

Also, how do you solve this problem?:

[tex]\frac{x^{2}-9x+14}{3x^{3}-6x^{4}} \times \frac{2x-1}{x^{2}-2x-35}[/tex]

I simplified it down to:

[tex] \frac{(x-7)(x-2)}{3x^{3}(-2x+1)} \times \frac{2x-1}{(x-7)(x+5)}[/tex]

Is there a way to cancel out (-2x+1) and 2x-1? Is it okay to multiply (-2x+1) by -1 or is it wrong because it changes the value? When I set them equal to one another they cancel out to equal 0. Why is this?

Thanks.

Don't set them equal... you can do a number of things... you can multiply the numerator and denominator by -1... that keeps the fraction the same, and let's you multiply out the (-2x+1) by -1...

Or multiply the denominator by (-1)*(-1) which is just one so you're keeping the value of the fraction the same... but you can use one of the -1 to multiply (-2x+1) by -1...

The essential idea is that -2x+1 = -1*(2x-1) = -(2x-1). You can also think of it as factoring out the -1.

Remember that whatever operations you do, you don't want to change the value of the quantity you're evaluating...

When you cancel things out with multiplication, you're dividing something by itself... so you don't get 0, but 1...

Last edited:
learningphysics said:
Don't set them equal... you can do a number of things... you can multiply the numerator and denominator by -1... that keeps the fraction the same, and let's you multiply out the (-2x+1) by -1...

Or multiply the denominator by (-1)*(-1) which is just one so you're keeping the value of the fraction the same... but you can use one of the -1 to multiply (-2x+1) by -1...

The essential idea is that -2x+1 = -1*(2x-1) = -(2x-1). You can also think of it as factoring out the -1.

Remember that whatever operations you do, you don't want to change the value of the quantity you're evaluating...

When you cancel things out with multiplication, you're dividing something by itself... so you don't get 0, but 1...

Thanks for your reply! I didn't even see that you could factor -1 out. Does anyone know the correct definition of Standard Deviation and how to find it? I've searched on google and all that came up were some confusing equations...

Yes, u have to use those confusing equations to calculate standard deviation.
http://www.answers.com/topic/standard-deviation?cat=biz-fin#

I liked the one that's in "Accounting Dictionary" section(scroll down to there), and
if you further scroll down, wikipedia explains it all (including that bell curve)

rootX said:
Yes, u have to use those confusing equations to calculate standard deviation.
http://www.answers.com/topic/standard-deviation?cat=biz-fin#

I liked the one that's in "Accounting Dictionary" section(scroll down to there), and
if you further scroll down, wikipedia explains it all (including that bell curve)

Okay, I'm nowhere near that level of math so I've found a defintion that I think I can apply. Please tell me if you think this is accurate or not:

"The standard deviation is a measure of spread- how far the observations in a set of data are from their mean."

Here's a problem of standard deviation:
Of the following lists of numbers, which has the smallest standard deviation?
a) 1, 5, 9
b) 3, 5, 8
c) 4, 5 ,8
d)7, 8 , 9
3) 8, 8, 8

So would you calculate all of their means for example (7, 8, 9): (7+8+9)/3=8 and then see how far the data {7,8,9} are from that mean?

In this case 8,8,8 has a mean of 8 which is the smallest out of all of them. Does that seem like the correct way to do it? Thanks

Theres a certain method to calculate the standard deviation.

First find the mean of each of those sets. Now Find the difference between each of the scores and the mean. Square each of them. Sum that, and divide that by the number of scores. Now square root the whole thing. That gives the Standard Deviation.

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between -sin 40 and -cos 50?

The relationship between -sin 40 and -cos 50 is that they are both trigonometric functions of angles in a right triangle. Specifically, they are the sine and cosine of the angles 40 degrees and 50 degrees, respectively, but with a negative sign in front.

2. How are -sin 40 and -cos 50 related to each other?

-sin 40 and -cos 50 are related to each other through the Pythagorean identity, which states that the square of the sine of an angle plus the square of the cosine of the same angle is always equal to 1. This relationship holds true for any angle, including 40 degrees and 50 degrees.

3. Can -sin 40 and -cos 50 be simplified or combined in any way?

Yes, -sin 40 and -cos 50 can be simplified by using the double angle identity for cosine, which states that cos 2x = 1 - 2sin²x. In this case, cos 100 = 1 - 2sin²50, and since sin 50 = -cos 50, this can be rewritten as cos 100 = 1 - 2(-cos 50)². This simplifies to cos 100 = 1 - 2cos²50.

4. What is the value of the expression -sin 40 * -cos 50?

The value of the expression -sin 40 * -cos 50 is equal to 0.7547095802227722. This can be calculated using a scientific calculator or by hand using the trigonometric identities for sine and cosine.

5. How can the relationship between -sin 40 and -cos 50 be applied in real life?

The relationship between -sin 40 and -cos 50 can be applied in real life in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. For example, in engineering, these functions can be used to calculate the forces acting on a structure or to determine the angles and distances for building structures. In physics, these functions are used to calculate the motion of objects in circular and oscillatory motion. In astronomy, they are used to calculate the positions and movements of celestial objects.