Trig Proofs: Websites for Basic Identities

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof Trig
In summary, there are different ways to define sine and cosine, but using the Euler formula or the Pythagorean identity, we can prove most basic trigonometry identities such as sin(x+y), cos(x+y), sin(2x), cos(2x), and tg²x + 1 = sec²x. These proofs may vary depending on the definitions used.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Does someone know of a website that has proofs for most basic trigonometry identities?

for sin(x+y), cos(x+y), sin(2x), cos(2x), tg²x + 1 = sec²x, etc

thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can use the Euler formula:
cos(x) + isin(x) = e^(ix)
So:
cos(x+y) + isin(x+y) = e^[i(x+y)]
cos(x+y) + isin(x+y) = e^(ix+iy)
cos(x+y) + isin(x+y) = e^ix * e^iy
Turn the right side into sines and cosines using the original formula and see what you get.

This way you can prove the additive formulas, and the other identities like sin(2x) or cos(x)+cos(y) or tg(x+y) can be proven using them. I don't know about the last one you mentioned since I have no idea what sec(x) is.

sec(x) is 1/cos(x). The last identity follows very easily from the Pythagorean identity, sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1.

quasar987 said:
Does someone know of a website that has proofs for most basic trigonometry identities?

for sin(x+y), cos(x+y), sin(2x), cos(2x), tg²x + 1 = sec²x, etc

thanks!

That depends strongly on how you define sine and cosine.

If you define them by the "elementary" right triangle ratios, sin2x+ cos2x= 1 follows from the Pythagorean theorem and tan2 x+ 1= sec2 x follows from that. However, such things as sin(x+y), cos(x+y) etc. may not even make sense.

If you define them by sin(x)= (eix- e-ix)/(2i) and cos(x)= (eix+eix)/2, then pig's method can be used.

If you define them by "sin(x) is the function, y, satisfying y"= -y, y(0)= 0, y'(0)= 1" and "cos(x) is the function, y, satisfying y"= -y, y(0)= 1, y'(0)= 0"
Then you can show that any function satisfying y"= -y, y(0)= a, y'(0)= b must be y= a cos(x)+ b sin(x). In particular, for example, cos(x+a) satisfies
y"= -y, y(0)= cos(a), y'(0)= -sin(a) so cos(x+a)= cos(a)cos(x)- sin(a)sin(x) and, with x= b, cos(a+b)= cos(a)cos(b)- sin(a)sin(b).

What is the purpose of Trig Proofs: Websites for Basic Identities?

Trig Proofs: Websites for Basic Identities is a collection of online resources that provide step-by-step explanations and examples for proving trigonometric identities. These websites are designed to assist students and professionals in understanding and mastering the use of basic trigonometric identities.

What are some examples of basic trigonometric identities?

Some examples of basic trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half-angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities are essential in solving trigonometric equations and simplifying expressions involving trigonometric functions.

How can I use Trig Proofs: Websites for Basic Identities to improve my understanding of trigonometry?

By using Trig Proofs: Websites for Basic Identities, you can access a variety of resources such as interactive tutorials, practice problems, and video explanations. These resources will not only help you in understanding the concepts but also provide you with opportunities to apply them in solving problems.

Are there any recommended websites for learning trigonometric identities?

Yes, there are many websites that offer resources for learning trigonometric identities. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, MathisFun, and Mathway. It is recommended to explore multiple websites to find the one that best suits your learning style.

Can I use Trig Proofs: Websites for Basic Identities to prepare for exams or tests?

Absolutely! Trig Proofs: Websites for Basic Identities is a great tool for exam preparation. You can use the resources to review and practice the concepts, as well as check your understanding through practice problems and quizzes. However, it is important to also consult your textbook and attend classes to fully prepare for exams or tests.