Proving a+b+c=abc with Inverse Trig Functions

In summary, the teacher wrote on the board that tan-1(a) + tan-1(b) + tan-1(c) = pi. They are inverse trig functions, and because a + b + c = abc, they can be represented by the interior angles of a triangle. There is no triangle for which a + b + c = a \cdot b \cdot c, so the first statement is true. Next, they demonstrated that a, b, and c can be represented by the interior angles of a triangle if the first statement is true. Finally, they showed that if the first statement is true, then a, b, and c can be represented by the arctan of both sides of
ebola_virus
a teacher wrote on the board

tan-1(a) + tan-1(b) + tan-1(c) = pi
[they are inverse trig functions btw, not the recipricol 1/tanx = cotx]

hence prove that

a + b + c = abc

wow. do you have any idea where i can start? thanks. I've been uttered clueless.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should first find what
[tex] \tan^{-1} x + \tan^{-1} y [/tex] is.That is, can you find the (??) in the equation below?
[tex] \tan^{-1} x + \tan^{-1} y = \tan^{-1} (??) [/tex]
Finding the above is very interesting.
You have to consider the cases when

xy<1
xy>1 and x,y >0
xy>1 and x,y <0

Last edited:
where did x and y come from agn?

x and y are just two variables. You can replace them with a and b if you wish.

ebola_virus said:
a teacher wrote on the board
tan-1(a) + tan-1(b) + tan-1(c) = pi
[they are inverse trig functions btw, not the recipricol 1/tanx = cotx]
hence prove that
a + b + c = abc
wow. do you have any idea where i can start? thanks. I've been uttered clueless.

so you mean:
[tex]
arctan(a) + arctan(b) + arctan(c) = \pi
[/tex]

If the first statement is true then a, b and c can be represented by the interior angles of a triangle. There is no triangle for which [itex]a + b + c = a \cdot b \cdot c[/itex] because the maximum possible value of [itex]a \cdot b \cdot c[/itex] is [itex](\pi/3)^3[/itex] which is less than [itex]\pi[/itex].

Tide said:
If the first statement is true then a, b and c can be represented by the interior angles of a triangle. There is no triangle for which [itex]a + b + c = a \cdot b \cdot c[/itex] because the maximum possible value of [itex]a \cdot b \cdot c[/itex] is [itex](\pi/3)^3[/itex] which is less than [itex]\pi[/itex].

An example solution is:
[tex]a=b=c=\sqrt{3}[/tex]
so
[tex]\tan^{-1}(a)=\tan^{-1}(b)=\tan^{-1}(c)=\frac{\pi}{3}[/itex]
Then
[tex]abc=3 \sqrt{3}[/tex]
and
[tex]a+b+c= 3 \sqrt{3}[/tex]

Yikes! What was I thinking!

Thanks for catching that, Nate!

er, i guess i got it

hehe i got it that makes more sort of. systematic sense.

using the double angle for tan thing

tan [a + b] = tan (a) + tan (b)
---------------
1 - tan(a)tan(b)

state that tan (a) = A
tan (b) = B you'll see why later.

anyways take the arctan of both sides of the double identity for tan and you get

a + b = arctan [tan (a) + tab (b) / 1 -tan(a)tan(b)]

now becuase tan (a) = A
a = arctan A and vice vresa for B

hence you end up wiht the arctan identity

arctan (A) + arctan (B) = arctan [(A+B)/(1-AB)]

and then you use that for a, b, and c you end up with the simple equation that tan pi = 0, hence

a + b + c - abc = 0
hence
a + b + c = abc

try that method. just for those of you who awanted a more systematic proof and that made more induction sort of sense. thanks again guys.

Question 1: What are inverse trig functions?

Inverse trigonometric functions are mathematical functions that are the opposite of traditional trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. They are used to solve equations involving trigonometric functions.

Question 2: How do inverse trig functions relate to proving a+b+c=abc?

Inverse trig functions are used in the process of proving equations, such as a+b+c=abc. They help to simplify and manipulate the equation to show that it is true.

Question 3: Can inverse trig functions be used to prove any equation?

Yes, inverse trig functions can be used to prove various equations, including a+b+c=abc. They are a useful tool in many mathematical proofs.

Question 4: What is the process for proving a+b+c=abc with inverse trig functions?

The process for proving a+b+c=abc with inverse trig functions involves manipulating the equation using trigonometric identities and properties until it is in a form that can be solved using inverse trig functions. The steps may vary depending on the specific equation and approach used.

Question 5: Why is proving a+b+c=abc with inverse trig functions important?

Proving equations, such as a+b+c=abc, with inverse trig functions is important because it allows us to understand and verify the relationships between different mathematical concepts. It also helps to strengthen our understanding of inverse trigonometric functions and their applications.