1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig Proof

1. Dec 24, 2014 #1
    Prove for any triangle ABC that:
    [tex]cos(A)+cos(B)+cos(C)=1+4sin(\frac{1}{2}A)sin(\frac{1}{2}B)sin(\frac{1}{2}C)[/tex]

I tried using the half-angle formula on the right side to get:

[tex]1+4 \left(\frac{1-cos(A)}{2}\frac{1-cos(b)}{2}sin(\frac{1}{2}C)\right) {}[/tex]

which simplifies to

[tex]1+\bigg(1-cos(A)-cos(B)+cos(A)cos(B) \bigg)*sin(\frac{1}{2}C)[/tex]

by the product to sum rule, this simplifies to

[tex]1+\bigg(1-cos(A)-cos(B)+\frac{1}{2}\Big[cos(A+B)+cos(A-B)\Big]\bigg)*sin(\frac{1}{2}C)[/tex]

I tried expanding the sin 1/2 C, but that just made things even more complicated. How should I approach this problem?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2014 #2
    Use product to sum formulas.

I remember their being a shortcut for this problem where u rewrite the terms on the left allowing you to use double angle formulas (dont quote me on this). I'll try to give a shot.

4. Dec 24, 2014 #3
    Forget the last part I said about product to sum. It just gives you back the original statement. I'll try to work on it later after work. Just had a 15 min break.

5. Dec 24, 2014 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Don't forget at some stage you are going to substitute C with 180° - (A+B)
    or C = ##\pi## - (A+B)

whichever you prefer.

6. Dec 24, 2014 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

If stymied, it's often worth trying a google search, such as: triangle "sin A + sin B + sin C"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted