Solving sqrt of ((1-sinx)/(1+sinx)) = |secx-tanx|

• Thread starter Gill
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a mathematical problem involving the equation sqrt((1-sinx)/(1+sinx))= |secx-tanx|. The individual is seeking help and provides the steps they have tried so far. They receive a hint and continue to discuss the problem until it is solved. The final solution involves using trigonometric identities to simplify the equation and show that the two sides are equal.
Gill
yea ok this problem has been making me mad for the past 2 weeks or so (it's a summer project due next week) any help would b great

sqrt of ((1-sinx)/(1+sinx))= |secx-tanx|

i tried:
=|secx-tanx|
=|(1/cosx)-(sinx/cosx)|
=|(1-sinx)/cosx|
and i need it to equal the other side without touching the other side... please HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: [itex]|A| = \sqrt{A^2}[/itex]
Hint: [itex]\cos ^2x + \sin ^2x = 1[/itex]

sorry but that still seems to not work, wat can i do? am i doing something wrong?

Gill said:
yea ok this problem has been making me mad for the past 2 weeks or so (it's a summer project due next week) any help would b great

sqrt of ((1-sinx)/(1+sinx))= |secx-tanx|

i tried:
=|secx-tanx|
=|(1/cosx)-(sinx/cosx)|
=|(1-sinx)/cosx|
and i need it to equal the other side without touching the other side... please HELP!
on the sqrt side you could multiply the numerator and denominator by 1-sin(x)
and use (sin(x))^2=1-(cos(x))^2
on the other side write it in terms of sin and cos as you have but then writ cos in terms of sin (hit use sqrt).

it works! thanks

Gill said:
sorry but that still seems to not work, wat can i do? am i doing something wrong?
You must have been doing something wrong, because it does indeed work:

[tex]\left |\frac{1-\sin x}{\cos x}\right | = \sqrt{\frac{(1-\sin x)^2}{\cos ^2 x}} = \sqrt{\frac{(1-\sin x)^2}{1 - \sin ^2 x}} = \sqrt{\frac{(1-\sin x)^2}{(1 - \sin x)(1 + \sin x)}} = \sqrt{\frac{1-\sin x}{1 + \sin x}}[/tex]

Note that I canceled a factor of [itex](1 - \sin x)[/itex] without checking that it wasn't 0. But you can check for yourself that if it is zero, then sin(x) = 1, which implies that cos(x) = 0, and so sec(x) and tan(x) are undefined, and I would assume that you're only asked to show that this identity holds for those values of x that don't lead to us having anything undefined (this happens when sec(x) or tan(x) are undefined, or when (1 + sin(x)) = 0).

1. What is the first step in solving the equation?

The first step in solving this equation is to simplify the expression inside the square root. This can be done by using the difference of squares formula: a² - b² = (a+b)(a-b). In this case, a = 1 and b = sinx. This will result in the expression becoming sqrt((1+sinx)(1-sinx)).

2. Can I solve this equation algebraically?

Yes, this equation can be solved algebraically. After simplifying the expression inside the square root, you can square both sides of the equation to eliminate the square root. This will result in a quadratic equation that can be solved using the quadratic formula or factoring.

3. Are there any restrictions on the values of x that can be used?

Yes, there are restrictions on the values of x. Since the original equation involves a square root, the expression inside the square root must be greater than or equal to 0. This means that (1+sinx)(1-sinx) ≥ 0. Solving this inequality, we get -1 ≤ sinx ≤ 1. Therefore, the values of x must lie between -π/2 and π/2.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve this equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this equation. However, you must be careful when using a calculator to solve equations involving trigonometric functions. Make sure your calculator is set to the correct mode (degrees or radians), and check your answers by plugging them back into the original equation.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving this equation?

Yes, there are alternative methods for solving this equation. One method is to graph both sides of the equation and find the points of intersection. This can help give an approximate solution. Another method is to use a trigonometric identity, such as sin²x + cos²x = 1, to simplify the equation before solving it algebraically.