Trig Question #2: Confused? Let Us Help | Math 120 Synthesizer PDF"

In summary, the conversation is about a math problem that involves figuring out the relationship between the revolutions of a 4-inch wheel and a 2-inch wheel. The 4-inch wheel is used to confuse the problem solver and should be ignored. The problem solver is asking for help in understanding how to calculate the speed using the information given and is currently stuck and confused.
ziddy83
hey what's up guys...i was trying to figure out this problem, but...I just can't see to get how to start. If someone can help me...that would be really nice. Its number 2 on this link... http://success.shoreline.edu/SarahLeyden/Classes/Current/Math%20120/Synthesizers/Synthesizer%202.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
this is not a trig question...
you don't need the 2 inches and 4 inches thing in your calculation. the reason they were there is to confuse you...

When the 4in wheel turns one revolution, how many revolutions does the 2in wheel turn? Can you figure out this relationship?

sorry... ignore what i just said... I misunderstood the question

hm.. still don't get it

I understand that for every 1 pedal, the 2in circle goes 2 revolutions. How do I figure out the speed from this?.. I'm stuck/confused..

ziddy83 said:
I understand that for every 1 pedal, the 2in circle goes 2 revolutions. How do I figure out the speed from this?.. I'm stuck/confused..

Do you know the number of revolutions of the 14in wheel now?

What is distance is traveled per revolution of the 14in wheel?

1. What is Trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationship between the sides and angles of triangles. It is used to solve problems involving triangles and is also applicable to other geometric shapes.

2. How can I use Trigonometry in real life?

Trigonometry has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, navigation, and physics. It is used to calculate distances, heights, angles, and trajectories in real-world situations.

3. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to relate the ratios of the sides of a right triangle to its angles.

4. What is the unit circle and how does it relate to Trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit. It is used in Trigonometry to understand the values of trigonometric functions at different angles. The x-coordinate on the unit circle represents the cosine value, and the y-coordinate represents the sine value at a given angle.

5. How can I solve a Trigonometry problem?

To solve a Trigonometry problem, you need to identify the given information, draw a diagram if possible, apply the relevant trigonometric formula, and use algebra to solve for the unknown value. It is also important to double-check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the given context.