Working Out Trig Ratios for Angles with Large Fractions in the Unit Circle

In summary, for angles with smaller fractions, such as cos(-7pi/4), they can be easily solved by converting them to a degree and quadrant form. However, for angles with larger fractions, like sin(15pi/2), they need to be put in the form of n.2pi + theta before they can be solved.
alpha01
Just trying to find a way to work out the trig ratios for angles with large fracetions in the unit circle (e.g. sin(15pi/2) etc..)

for angles with smaller fractions like cos(-7pi/4) i can solve easily like this: 7/4 = 1.75 = 45 degree (pi/4) angle in the 1st quadrant (because its negative), therefore cos of this angle = 1/sqrt(2)

i understand for larger fractions i need to first put them in the form of n.2pi + theta (where n.2pi is the number of full revolutions and theta is the angle remaining at the end)

how can i put angles like sin(15pi/2) into the form n.2pi + theta?

thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex]sin\frac{15\pi}{2}=sin(7\pi+\frac{\pi}{2})=sin(8\pi-\frac{\pi}{2})[/tex]

What is the unit circle in trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit, centered at the origin of a coordinate system. It is used in trigonometry to understand and visualize the relationships between angles, coordinates, and trigonometric functions.

How do I use the unit circle to find trigonometric values?

To find trigonometric values using the unit circle, you can use the coordinates of a point on the circle to determine the sine, cosine, and tangent of the corresponding angle. You can also use the Pythagorean theorem to find the values of other trigonometric functions such as secant, cosecant, and cotangent.

What is the relationship between the unit circle and radians?

The unit circle and radians are closely related in trigonometry. Radians are a unit of measurement for angles, and the unit circle is used to understand the trigonometric values of these angles. In fact, the circumference of the unit circle is 2π radians, making it a useful tool for converting between degrees and radians.

How does the unit circle help solve trigonometric equations?

The unit circle can help solve trigonometric equations by providing a visual representation of the relationships between angles, coordinates, and trigonometric functions. By using the unit circle, you can easily determine the values of trigonometric functions for different angles and use them to solve equations.

What are the key concepts to understand when using the unit circle in trigonometry?

The key concepts to understand when using the unit circle in trigonometry are the relationships between angles, coordinates, and trigonometric functions. It is also important to understand how to use the unit circle to find trigonometric values, convert between degrees and radians, and solve trigonometric equations.