Exact Values of sinx & cosx for tan2x=-24/7

• Thread starter glass.shards
  • Start date
In summary, using the given equation tan2x=(-24/7), the exact value(s) of sinx and cosx can be found by solving for cos2x and using the double angle identities. The possible values for cosx and sinx are ±3/5 and ±4/5, but only the values cosx = 3/5 and -4/5 and sinx = 3/5 and 4/5 satisfy the equation. This can be verified by plugging in each value and seeing which ones result in the given equation. The other values are false solutions and do not satisfy the equation.
glass.shards
If tan2x=(-24/7), find the exact value(s) of sinx and cosxWorking out the answers by hand, I get

sinx = ±3/5, ±4/5
cosx = ±3/5, ±4/5But by actually calculating x and plugging it into sinx and cosx, I get

sinx = 3/5, 4/5
cosx = 3/5, -4/5I'm pretty sure that the latter are the answers, but how do I justify it given the ±?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's what I did:

tan2x = -24/7

so to find cosx and sinx, I established that on a graph:
y = -24
x = 7
r = 25

OR

y = 24
x = -7
r = 25

Thus, cos2x = ±7/25. By breaking down cos2x into (1-2(sinx)^2) and (2(cosx)^2-1) and working out the answers, I got those four values.

You get extra false solutions from taking both positive and negative values from the square root. The only way to justify the latter answers is to verify each of the possibilities and saying some did not evaluate to the correct value.

1. What is the exact value of sinx?

The exact value of sinx can be found by using the identity sinx = tanx/cosx. In this case, since we know that tan2x = -24/7, we can substitute this value into the identity to get sinx = (-24/7)/cos2x. The exact value of cos2x is 1 - 2sin^2(x), so we can further simplify to get sinx = (-24/7)/(1 - 2sin^2(x)).

2. How can we find the exact value of cosx?

To find the exact value of cosx, we can use the identity cosx = 1/cscx. Substituting in the given value of tan2x = -24/7, we can rearrange to get cosx = 1/(csc2x). Using the identity csc2x = 1/sinx, we can then simplify to get cosx = sinx/(-24/7).

3. What is the significance of the given value of tan2x = -24/7?

The given value of tan2x = -24/7 tells us that the tangent of twice the angle x is equal to -24/7. This can help us determine the exact values of sinx and cosx, as shown in the answers to the previous questions.

4. How can we use the given information to find the exact values of sinx and cosx?

By using the identities mentioned in the answers to the previous questions, we can manipulate the given value of tan2x = -24/7 to find the exact values of sinx and cosx. This involves using the identities sinx = tanx/cosx and cosx = 1/cscx, as well as the double angle identity for sin2x and the Pythagorean identity for cos^2(x).

5. Is it possible to find the exact values of sinx and cosx for any given value of tan2x?

Yes, it is possible to find the exact values of sinx and cosx for any given value of tan2x. This is because there are identities and formulas that can be used to manipulate the given value and find the exact values of sinx and cosx. However, some values may be more difficult to work with and may require more steps to find the exact values.