1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig question

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    How do you go about finding the arctangent of an unfamiliar number. Example, arctan (-2)? I think it's in the direction of half-angles and double angels, but how do I get the angle to start with the formulas in the first place?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2
    If x = arctan(-2), then tan(x) = -2. I don't think double or half-angle will help you for this problem. Sometimes you can figure out what x is, sometimes you can't without a calculator.

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I like to visualize the plots of sin, cos, and tan, to help me with problems like this. Draw the tan function, including the asymptotes and the repeating pattern. The arctan is just that plot turned on its side, but without the repeating patterns (because that would give you multiple values for arctan).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctan

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook