Breaking Down Degrees: Is It Important?

In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionHi Miike012! :smile:The first chapter is talking about how they brake up a degree into minutes and minutes into seconds...Is this concept important to understand. And how will it help me with other harder trig problems?If you don't understand it, then it is important that you learn it. If you already know and understand the concepts then it should be a piece of cake.
Miike012

Homework Statement

The first chapter is talking about how they brake up a degree into minutes and minutes into seconds...
Is this concept important to understand. And how will it help me with other harder trig problems?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Miike012! :smile:
Miike012 said:
The first chapter is talking about how they brake up a degree into minutes and minutes into seconds...
Is this concept important to understand. And how will it help me with other harder trig problems?

It doesn't matter at all, except for surveying or navigation on the Earth's surface, or for measuring the positions of stars …

in most cases, we just use degrees or radians (perhaps you haven't done radians yet? :wink:) to the required number of decimal places.

But that won't help you if you're trying to navigate with a map marked in minutes and seconds, so yes you'd better understand it! :biggrin:

Havnt looked at it yet... but ill be on radians in the next two pages lol.. what is a radian?

If you don't understand it, then it is important that you learn it. If you already know and understand the concepts then it should be a piece of cake.

Now, what is your question?

Miike012 said:
Havnt looked at it yet... but ill be on radians in the next two pages lol.. what is a radian?

Ah … telling you that would spoil the surprise! :wink:
Integral said:
… it should be a piece of cake.

An angle is a piece of cake! :smile:

Well I guess I will just have to read and find out...

The book that I am reading from is called plane trig by s.l. loney...
I heard this book was a good book?
But what makes it better than another book? Does it go more indepth, or have more theorems?

If you really want to go in depth with trig i would recommend Gelfand's trigonometry once you get the basics down

Thank you... Do you know of a good indepth alg book...?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of breaking down degrees?

Breaking down degrees allows for a more thorough understanding of complex concepts and theories. It also makes it easier to apply these concepts in practical situations.

2. How does breaking down degrees help in the research process?

By breaking down degrees, researchers can better analyze and interpret data, identify patterns and trends, and draw more accurate conclusions. It also allows for more specific and targeted research questions.

3. Is breaking down degrees important in all fields of science?

Yes, breaking down degrees is important in all fields of science as it helps in understanding the underlying principles and mechanisms behind natural phenomena and processes.

4. What are some examples of breaking down degrees in scientific research?

Examples of breaking down degrees in scientific research include analyzing data at different levels of measurement, breaking down complex theories into smaller, more manageable components, and using different research methods to examine a phenomenon from multiple perspectives.

5. How can breaking down degrees contribute to the advancement of scientific knowledge?

Breaking down degrees can contribute to the advancement of scientific knowledge by providing a deeper understanding of complex concepts, identifying gaps in current knowledge, and paving the way for new research directions. It also allows for the development of more accurate and effective interventions and solutions to real-world problems.